And the bells in the steeple too.

And up in the nursery an ubsurd little bird

Is popping out to say cook-coo cook-coo, cook-coo

Regretfully they tell us cook-coo

But firmly they compell us cook-coo

To say goodbye cook-coo...

To you...

So long farewell, auf weidersehen good-bye :D :D

Willie Shannon isn't the Deputy Chief Executive - he's the Assistant Chief Executive.

What's the difference?

The difference is the Assistant CE works in a 'team' within the SIC Executive office assisting the CE in a variety of duties.

The Deputy CE is usually a senior Head of Department who stands in for the CE occasionally as required, (holidays, sickness etc).

In my way of thinking the pecking order would put the Deputy in line of seniority and the Assistant as below other Heads of Department.

Willie Shannon isn't the Deputy Chief Executive - he's the Assistant Chief Executive.

What's the difference?

As has already been said before, the post of assistant chief executive, a non-job if ever their was one, was crated by Morgon Goodlad. Clark came in, had a look round, and wondered what this guy was doing. Just didn't go about geeting ridd of him in the right way.

mainlander - I see you are more 'connected' or 'aquainted' with Shetland than you have generally let on. No doubt you may have already stated this way back somewhere.

You can bleat on all you like about councillor conduct and you certainly have a point. However, we live in a small island community in which many parts of our lives are in the public spotlight whether we like it ir not. The 'politics' up here can ve as dirty as anywhere else.

Notwithstanding that, put yourself in the shoes of Dr Wills and tell me how you would react to a person phoning you at home and threatening you over the telephone? You can try and give me all the 'not proven' bull you like but I know who I believe. This is the heart of the problem here and all the other 'action' has merely followed that incident. The 'Complaint' regarding the drinking in the Town Hall is enough reason for dismissaal and that goes for the 'official' who helped advise the CE to declare he had been on a half day holiday at the time as well (I for one would love to know for certain who it was).

You are getting to be rather annoying with your defence of the indefensible.

End of rant

Guest Anonymous
if willie shannon is so good why is hazel in as temp ce i thought a deputy

s job was to stand in for the ce in his abscence

or if he is ok , why can he no just step in n have the empty job ?

Since this sorry pathetic situation began we have not really had a C.E or an assistant C.E .

I think this demonstrates quite well that the council will function better / cheaper without either , Shannon and Clark are dead rotten wood in my opinion , they really should try a year or two without either of these posts things will probably still get done ,? . Get done , more would probably have been got done if it had been the essy cart men and toilet attendants making the decisions at the bar in da lerick legion ( no disrespect to menial workers intended )

Offload both and we save the best part of 200 grand right away , the heads of department or a different counciller can chairmanship on a rotational basis or whatever it is that they do .

In fact the whole establishment needs to be cleansed of the parasite style jobs it supports. Hopefully this affair will also encourage more folk to vote out the others who really need to go .

Fresh talent needed , I can think of 6 who should definately not be returning to the toon hall.

mainlander - I see you are more 'connected' or 'aquainted' with Shetland than you have generally let on. No doubt you may have already stated this way back somewhere.

Yes, in my post on the "Introduce Yourself" thread on 14th September I mentioned my visits to Shetland. Edit: I also mentioned my visits in three posts on this thread on 13th September.

You can bleat on all you like about councillor conduct and you certainly have a point.

Thank you, I will, for as long as people continue to post that things are facts just because Mr Wills says so.

You are getting to be rather annoying with your defence of the indefensible.

What annoys me is folk that think that only those who share their viewpoint should post on any given thread.

End of rant

Rant away. I'm not that interested in the whole business any more, and as I have already said, I am happy to go along with the legal decision - if Mr Clark gets a large payout (especially if it includes any element of compensation) then he will have been proved in the right. If he only gets a small payout (or none), then his critics will have been proved right.

Since this sorry pathetic situation began we have not really had a C.E or an assistant C.E .

I think this demonstrates quite well that the council will function better / cheaper without either , Shannon and Clark are dead rotten wood in my opinion , they really should try a year or two without either of these posts things will probably still get done ,? . Get done , more would probably have been got done if it had been the essy cart men and toilet attendants making the decisions at the bar in da lerick legion ( no disrespect to menial workers intended )

Offload both and we save the best part of 200 grand right away , the heads of department or a different counciller can chairmanship on a rotational basis or whatever it is that they do .

In fact the whole establishment needs to be cleansed of the parasite style jobs it supports. Hopefully this affair will also encourage more folk to vote out the others who really need to go .

Fresh talent needed , I can think of 6 who should definately not be returning to the toon hall.

the heads of departments would be a good idea. that would mean we would need proper leadership from the council members. if they were to cycle the post every 6 months to a year then we would never be stuck with a poorer performers for to long. we could even go for mayor system.

Re Deputy/Assistant Chief Executives:

It is not uncommon amongst Local Authorities to have several Chief Executives, especially within the larger LAs. I think Hackney Council has something like four or six Assistant Chief Executives. The structure, if I recall correctly, is that one ACE would have reporting to him/her two Heads of Department.

A rota system was also in place for the same ACEs to stand in for the CE during holiday/sickness/trips away periods.

Hope this assists.

There is a petition in the local shops to get him dismissed without compensation, I would urge anybody concerned to sign it asap.

I would go one stage further and have all those that pushed to get him in the job in the first place removed from office.

By jove, so there is! Just clocked the petition in my local shop.

after all this mess is by with what will the SIC do?

they might as well get rid of all top posts AND the councillors and instead put a team of consultants from sooth on salary year round to run the islands - it probably would work out a lot cheaper in the long run!

after all, this is all that our current councillors do at the moment isnt it?

Guest Anonymous

the noisy critics are a small number at the top end of the scale usually , but it might not be a bad time for the "informed" to let all us plebbs know what the chief executive post actually is? what are his duties in relation to what affects the peasants ? does he divvy up the budgets? does he make policy? does he actually do anything? obviously not paid to go on the skite of course

if willie shannon is so good why is hazel in as temp ce i thought a deputy

s job was to stand in for the ce in his abscence

or if he is ok , why can he no just step in n have the empty job ?

One of the most interesting things I have noticed since this whole fiasco began is how nobody I speak with seems to have any faith in his capabilities. Opinions range from neutral indifference downwards. As such, I long wondered how he was named as second choice over the other two (in their case, well spoken of) internal candidates. I still wonder, but somebody did offer one possible "explanation." Their idea was that because Graham and Hazel would need to work together in their existing roles, naming either of them as second choice would be potentially divisive. Hence, name someone else. Sounds a bit convoluted to me, but just as believable as most of the other actual events.

if Mr Clark gets a large payout (especially if it includes any element of compensation) then he will have been proved in the right. If he only gets a small payout (or none), then his critics will have been proved right.

I don't agree on that. This is law, not science. Proof is rather a different concept in the world of lawyers. For example was O.J. proven to have been in the right?