Dipped Headlights

Kavi Ugl

Tis the ones who don't dip when approaching you that gets my goat up though. That said, I felt a real prat the other day when I did flash mine (yep, I'm 'guilty') only for them to then put their lights on full beam ... blooming heck, either they got super duper bulbs ... or have they got their lights wrongly adjusted?

I used to make it a habit to switch on my sidelights at ALL times of the day when I went out of an urban area into a rural one. My father always told me it was a good habit, and it stuck.

Nowadays, I put them on EVERY time I start up the car. The way I see it, if I'm out and about and some eejit is on the same road, it could make the difference between getting a bump and not. And if they DO hit me through "not seeing" a large lump of metal with lights on it, it's pretty much a straight up case of them driving without due care and attention, innit?

Tis the ones who don't dip when approaching you that gets my goat up though. That said, I felt a real prat the other day when I did flash mine (yep, I'm 'guilty') only for them to then put their lights on full beam ... blooming heck, either they got super duper bulbs ... or have they got their lights wrongly adjusted?
After buying my car, I used to get flashed quite a lot when I had the regular lights on. I had it serviced, and nobody flashed me, so I'm guessing something was slightly wonky and it got sorted by the garage.

After buying my car, I used to get flashed quite a lot when I had the regular lights on. I had it serviced, and nobody flashed me, so I'm guessing something was slightly wonky and it got sorted by the garage.

• 2 months later...

If people hop in thier cars and are so ignorant to the weather, time of day, visibility, that they neglect to turn thier lights on (lights, not sidelights folks!). I wish them a speedy recovery when they get discharged from the Gilbert Bain, I also hope thier insurers refuse to pay out for the damage to thier cars and egos.

Ignorance might be bliss, but it could be someones life your taking in your own hands by being so ignorant as to not put your headlights on.

My car has automatic headlights, they generally come on in poor light / visibility, I always check they're on before I set off anyway. Even at work whilst driving I have the headlights on, not because im blind as a bat, but so other drivers are alerted to my presence on the road.

As my driving instructor told me all those years ago "It's not your driving you need be concerned about, it's everyone else on the road"

I actually flashed my headlights at a few and they responded by waving at me..... :roll:

Just a week or so ago the police put out a release reminding people to use their dipped headlights during the rainy conditions but you never see them out and about pulling people over.....

As my driving instructor told me all those years ago "It's not your driving you need be concerned about, it's everyone else on the road"

:lik:

Same goes to anyone else using the road, vehicle or not, it helps to be as safe as possible but it's the other ejits you need to watch out for.

Guest Anonymous
I also hope thier insurers refuse to pay out for the damage to thier cars

Be assured that if you run into me, lights or no lights.. I'll be claiming on your insurance.

Stop trying to blame the victim!.. If it's too dangerous to be driving on the highway safely, don't drive!

If people hop in thier cars and are so ignorant to the weather, time of day, visibility, that they neglect to turn thier lights on (lights, not sidelights folks!). I wish them a speedy recovery when they get discharged from the Gilbert Bain, I also hope thier insurers refuse to pay out for the damage to thier cars and egos.

Ignorance might be bliss, but it could be someones life your taking in your own hands by being so ignorant as to not put your headlights on.

My car has automatic headlights, they generally come on in poor light / visibility, I always check they're on before I set off anyway. Even at work whilst driving I have the headlights on, not because im blind as a bat, but so other drivers are alerted to my presence on the road.

well said, I've flashed a few over the weekend for having no lights at all or the tinest side lights (that are for no use) put them full on - in Shetland we should never need to use our side lights while driving. I always put my full lights on either at work or in my own car. side lights are only used while parked and waiting for someone!