Would a Wetherspoons pub be popular in Shetland?

daveh

I would welcome the opening of a Wetherspoons pub in Lerwick.  

110 members have voted

1. 1. I would welcome the opening of a Wetherspoons pub in Lerwick.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but not in Lerwick town centre

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S&H building or St Olaf Hall would be great pubs, the point of wheather or not we have to many pubs is one thing, but i think we have to many of the same kind of pubs, ie. dark, dingy, dark brown wood from the 70/80s, AND looks like they need a dam good deep clean!

What we need is new bright, light with good food, family place to go (daytime/early evening) then fine for anyone later on.

I think they pubs here see us as money for old rope so there is no need to compeet with each other on who is the best because they are enough of us to fill them all, regardless of the condition of the building.

I think there best and only asset is the good staff in each of the premises.

What we need is new bright, light with good food, family place to go (daytime/early evening) then fine for anyone later on.

Why?

Are you happy going into dark and dingy pubs - im not, and i dont.

That kind of pub is well catered for here, i was aplying that we need something diffrent from what we have, giving customers (us) better choice.

I sometimes feel the dark and dingy places have dodgy folk in the corners dealing in whatever is dodgy at the time, not that that would hapen here, but i wouldnt go into pubs like that south.

I also think if its minging this side of the counter, what the hell is it like in the kitchen and places we cant see.

Why?

Are you happy going into dark and dingy pubs - im not, and i dont.

That kind of pub is well catered for here, i was aplying that we need something diffrent from what we have, giving customers (us) better choice.

I sometimes feel the dark and dingy places have dodgy folk in the corners dealing in whatever is dodgy at the time, not that that would hapen here, but i wouldnt go into pubs like that south.

I also think if its minging this side of the counter, what the hell is it like in the kitchen and places we cant see.

My question relates to 'family'. Granted, I'm guilty of going into a Firkin chain pub that had a toddler play area WELL away from the main bar serving area but pubs are for adults really, not minors - hence my question.

... or St Olaf Hall would be great pubs, ...

St Olaf's Hall is the building at the top of Church Road which now houses offices. The unused hall in St Olaf Street mentioned earlier is St Clement's. I presume you mean the latter.

S&H building or St Olaf Hall would be great pubs, the point of wheather or not we have to many pubs is one thing, but i think we have to many of the same kind of pubs, ie. dark, dingy, dark brown wood from the 70/80s, AND looks like they need a dam good deep clean!

You need to be drunk to go into most pubs in Lerwick. Probably why people drink at home before even stepping out of the door.

Ask any landlord here though and they will tell you that not only do they want no more pubs, they want less pubs as there is too many already. There is too much competition and they don't like Tesco too much either.

Ask any landlord here though and they will tell you that not only do they want no more pubs, they want less pubs as there is too many already. There is too much competition and they don't like Tesco too much either.

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? If the pubs in Lerwick really were fiercely competing for customers, I think they'd be making a bit more effort.

Give me a pub that sells decent draught beer, not the usual generic keg pish, decent cask ales and a range of interesting Continental lager stuff. And somewhere where I can have a beer without everyone gawping at a telly screen spewing inane crap instead of talking (inane crap when you're talking should be part of every pub - no need for electronic wizardry to import it from outwith). And some proper pork scratchings!

Somewhere where well behaved dogs (and even women :wink:) are welcome and a comfortable and clean environment. Somewhere where you can get the craic without shouting over a sound system (there's plenty already providing music) and somewhere where the bars staff actually look vaguely interested in their work.

Kids? Not in my pub, pal. I'd get moaned at if I sat on the kiddie swings with a beer in my hand - so stay out of the pub with yer screaming snot nosed brats. I can get that at home......

:wink: :wink:

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they? If the pubs in Lerwick really were fiercely competing for customers, I think they'd be making a bit more effort.

Funny that you should say that as none were offering to close their pubs to increase the competition!

I don't think you will get too much of a cheaper pint. Though, brewing knowhow has manipulated the beer to travel better and further (not just past your shoes). There were stories of beer short on date and suchlike. Though I can assure you the beer is fine, however, the skills of the cellar man have been diminished. No more does he have to haul around many kegs and spike them. You may not get your traditional beer, spiking the barrel allows air into the barrel, because of this, it would need to be drunk quite quickly, it does not take much to turn it. Bulk delivery for the boys who are afraid if the dark, lager and 22 gallon of ale.

Many now use the mix of co2 and nitrogen, this helps keep the beer for 2-3 months.

The experiences I have of a Wetherspoons is from 4 different ones, one in Preston, one in Greenwich one in Lewisham and one in Catford.

They are much about the same, there is some history with the buildings they have taken over and that is normally reflected in the name.

The food is, standard. It has been great if your running late as the order for the curry comes as soon as the microwave goes ping, I also found many of the products are deep fried.

Some have themed nights with food.

A Wetherspoons pub will shake up the competition, and will provide a venue for the family pub lunch/dinner/tea, but if the drink is cheaper, would it not provide a venue for those out of the dark pubs described?

I don't understand why the likes of 'Da Noost' who need the custom, probably more than the likes of The Lounge or Flints don't cut their prices a bit and get more people in the door.

I know the toilets are terrible but when you're young and out on the piss toilets don't matter that much!