peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

think i maybe have noticed yes, i have been here nearly all my life going out in small boats, trawlers, pursers, in the winter n all , as have most of my forebearers , sea captains amongst them, whalers, merchant seamen n all, and kinda resent being lectured about sea conditions

Been looking into travel insurance for our move north on 10th dec. in case the boat is cancelled.

None of the travel insurers do anything worth while for those sorts of trips. All the excesses are around £60 per person so you'd have to be 'stuck' atleast 2 nights for it to be worth the hassle. They're all geared to covering foreign holidays and you can't actually get a year cover for travel in the UK only single or return trips.

If anyone knows different I'd be interested to know who you use.

So Plan B, SYHA do a family room (4) for £70 a night and Premier Inn do a 3 bed family room for £60 a night.

see the forecast is bad again for tonight and tomorrow

Kev

:lol: Plan C is to find somewhere before Aberdeen as they said tghey'd let us know mid-morning.

Plan D is to sleep in the cars, should eb fun with a dog and a 2 year old.

Definitely going to be an adventure.

Yeh I can obviously see where the gripes come from but I'm not expecting it all to be plain sailing :lol: moving to somewhere all the way up there.

If we didn't have the bairn I'd be happy getting another van and mouching around in that.

see the forecast is bad again for tonight and tomorrow

Kev

Forecast looks fine?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/os/lerwick_forecast_weather.html

Given you've transport, even if the hotels around the centre of Aberdeen are busy you'll get something on the outskirts - the hotel in Westhill is always a good bet when Aberdeen is fogbound and all the hotels get busy.

None of the travel insurers do anything worth while for those sorts of trips. All the excesses are around £60 per person so you'd have to be 'stuck' atleast 2 nights for it to be worth the hassle. They're all geared to covering foreign holidays and you can't actually get a year cover for travel in the UK only single or return trips.

I used to use the post office for europe wide (including uk) annual cover. Cost £50 for single parent rate (covered us both including for independently traveling). Covered boat problems (originally got for traveling from aberdeen to lerwick to hansholm).

Never had to claim though, don't know anyone who has, but do know a lot of folk who use them for travel insurance.

Edit they also do UK travel insurance but it's only a couple of quid more to have the europe wide.

problems like this i wouldnt spend too long worrying about of course its nice to have a 2nd plan, but if you spend all your time worrying then its not worth the move.

the boat may be cancelled during rough weather summer or winter just as the plane may be cancelled during summer due to fog and the boat may be full. its these kinda problems you just have to accept when youlive on a fairly remote island. and you always make do and if everything went right it would never be an adventure or somthing to talk about!

they are correct in saying if you have transport you will always get accom outside of aberdeen - westhill, stonehaven, balmedie- airport hotels are not always full either its just hit or miss in aberdeen however city centre you can place a good bet will be full during week.

good luck, im sure it will all be fine, welcome to shetland when you arrive

There must be a gap in the market here. All the annual policies I've ever had have required that a minimum of two nights accommodation is booked. If I'm going to stay with friends, that apparently doesn't count, nor did the policies kick in if I was only going away for a night. Presumably all this is based on a need for evidence that a trip was actually planned, but I should have thought the purchase of an air or ferry ticket was pretty conclusive. Strange. Any insurance agents in the Shetlink community?