spiders ballooning

I don't know if anyone else is in to this sort of thing, and I'll probably feel like a complete idiot later for posting this, but here goes:

The eldest and I went for a photographic fungi walk during this morning's glorious sunshine (we went out so he could take pictures of as many mushrooms as we could find) and we saw this: the remains of spiders ballooning. I was well impressed - nature's wonders and all that. So I thought I'd share it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/fjaana/gossamer.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/fjaana/spiderlings.jpg

One of natures wonders it is. I recall some years ago coming across spiders ballooning from a cairn on top of a hill. It is so easy to anthropomorphise animal behaviour, but I couldn't help but get a feeling of pre-meditated wit in their behaviour and think "Spider dudes - you are going far! Quite literally!" Some very cool spiders, if such a thing is possible. :wink:

Whenever I see this I also have a slight pang of sympathy for arachnophobes, it must be a living nightmare - the combination of thousands of "flying spiders" and the revelation that there are something like 50 spiders per square metre in moorland. :thmbsup

Sorry folks, but the only good spider is a DEAD spider, I carry a can of red Raid with me this time of year and that's the end of the spiders !! either that or up the Dyson they go.

yuk, yuk, yuk, creepy crawly horrible beasties !! :cry:

I carry a can of red Raid with me this time of year and that's the end of the spiders !!

I hope you don't breathe in much of the spray...

Permethrin, like all synthetic pyrethroids, is a neurotoxin. Symptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning. Laboratory tests suggest that permethrin is more acutely toxic to children than to adults.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has classified permethrin as a carcinogen because it causes lung tumors in female mice and liver tumors in mice of both sexes. Permethrin inhibits the activity of the immune system in laboratory tests, and also binds to the receptors for a male sex hormone. It causes chromosome aberrations in human and hamster cells.

Permethrin is toxic to honey bees and other beneficial insects, fish, aquatic insects, crayfish, and shrimp. For many species, concentrations of less than one part per billion are lethal. Permethrin causes deformities and other developmental problems in tadpoles, and reduces the number of oxygen-carrying cells in the blood of birds.

There is a theory that spiders helped populate our planet. The remains of spiders or similar drifted through space landed here, the bacteria they carried became YOU.

Yeuchhh!!!!

And I was just thinking about going to bed and having sweet dreams.....

If I dream about space spiders, instead of nice little Tarantulas, I'll kick your butt Shetlandpeat.

:lol: :lol: