Any snow tyres coming in?

Rasmie

Given up waiting for winter ones as I am too close to the limit on my current tyres so have to go for another set of standard ones - interesting to see the post about there being little perceived difference with winter tyres.

Does anyone have any experience of using "snow socks" - I often drive after/before the gritters have been out and have got stuck on the hill by Leasks garage several times for want of just a tad more traction. Do JB's stock them as well? Online stores have either sold out of my size or are a bit vague about delivery "offshore"!

Have to disagree with the comment above from my own personal experience. This is the first year I've run with winter tyres on the front drive wheels. The difference has been immense, not been stopped by anything this last couple of weeks :-)

I was dubious as to how goos they'd be but they've paid for themselves several times over by getting me to work early in the mornings and not losing money for time off!

Brae Garage, Cooper tyres.

Winter tyres are a must with the snow, but will not make a huge difference on ice. My car was transformed by fitting Michelin Alpins, not been stuck yet, but with ordinary tyres could barely move on even the slightest incline. Ask around for tyres there are tyres in stock but there is a bit o a wait for some.

I'm parked up whilst waiting for some Pirelli snow tyres to be delivered from a web supplier down south because the Sava tyres on the front of my Audi have absolutely NO grip in the snow despite plenty of tread, which made recent trips quite slow and often alarming.

The snow socks I ordered three weeks ago have just turned up so I'll give them a try out and report further.

I put four snow tyres on my car and the difference compared to normal summer tyres is huge, car pulls up far quicker, takes off with little to no wheel spin and doesn't slide nearly so much when cornering on ice. I would say only putting two on will alter the handling of the car as you've got varying degrees of grip between the axles which will effect the braking and cornering.

I think the garages in town will have plenty stock if there prices are anything to go by, they were asking double the price off the ones I bought from Brae last year.

Years ago I used to think snow tyres wouldn't make an odds till I drove a mates car with two on the drive wheels. I bought two on steel rims for my car, great traction and even good steering and braking.

I acquired two more this year for the rear and just have to smile when I am following some one that doesn't have snow tyres as I know how frustrated they are slipping and sliding on the slightest hill or bend.

I often drive after/before the gritters have been out and have got stuck on the hill by Leasks garage several times for want of just a tad more traction.

Carry a length of "Post Office rope" (3/8" or thereabout polypropelene), and tie a piece tightly once around each of your drive wheels. Works best on snow, not too great on ice, but worth a try either way. Its a "get you up that steeper nip, when bare types won't" measure, so take it off again once you have, as your steering will be well dodgy leaving it on, and if you come to black tar it'll soon wear through and be a curse for others littering the road.

Back in the "g. o. d's" of all vehicles having rear wheel drive (unless minis), leaving it on wasn't such an issue as it didn't mess with steering.

I often drive after/before the gritters have been out and have got stuck on the hill by Leasks garage several times for want of just a tad more traction.

Carry a length of "Post Office rope" (3/8" or thereabout polypropelene), and tie a piece tightly once around each of your drive wheels. Works best on snow, not too great on ice, but worth a try either way. Its a "get you up that steeper nip, when bare types won't" measure, so take it off again once you have, as your steering will be well dodgy leaving it on, and if you come to black tar it'll soon wear through and be a curse for others littering the road.

Back in the "g. o. d's" of all vehicles having rear wheel drive (unless minis), leaving it on wasn't such an issue as it didn't mess with steering.

i wonder if chains will ever make a come back ? , they were certainly effective