Alleged hacker arrested in Shetland

Sudden Stop

i guess lulzsec are right to say so many sites have terrible terrible security, which i think their original point was to point this out in as humorous a way possible. then they got a lot of attention and tried to be more mature and pretend they were hacking for a cause, when they really have no specific cause. how can they claim that topiary was politically motivated when his motivations against hacking each site are all over the place?

Spot on IMO. The Nyan Cat association only goes to reinforce this.

Ironically, the authorities are in a similar position. They have gone for the easy option and caught the small fry who were making themselves vulnerable, when the really talented hackers, who are truly anonymous, are still chugging away potentially causing significant problems.

I am hoping it was just a general question of police/security response to such a situation, though possibly could have been worded better.

It is certainly a worrying thought, I have no idea how well Shetland could respond.

we would be stuffed thet have to get armed response from south.

According to today's P&J, 140,000 people have joined an on-line campaign to raise moneyto pay Jake Davis's legal fees. The campaign is callng for donors to contribute bit-coins - digital currency that can be exchanged for hard currency. the campaign is dubbed "Operation Free Topiary"

The campaign group claim to have already received a "significant" amont of money, and they intend t send it to Davis's mobile phone via text next week.

This method of finance is certainly new to me! Good on them.

It would be interesting to know how many people would have died if someone like Breivik would commited his/her killing in Shetlands. Any ideas?>

It is interesting to think about, especially with the different cultures. Norway with its lower ex prisoners re-offending levels than here in the UK. Perhaps being used to less crime could lower the paranoia levels, sadly are probably quite high now.

It is these scenarios the police and other civil defence folk will model. Especially the local guard or TA.

I would guess it would have to b an event, I think that is obvious.

When the US were opened up by the Wikileaks, they did say that 40,000 US folk could loose their lives or were at risk. What it did show was there was over 150,000 casualties of Afghanistan, most civilians.

I am hoping it was just a general question of police/security response to such a situation, though possibly could have been worded better.

It is certainly a worrying thought, I have no idea how well Shetland could respond.

we would be stuffed that have to get armed response from south.

There are trained firearms folk all over the place. Even if they did have to come from south, given the speed of a Super Lynx is more than 200 MPH with 10 passengers and a range of over 300 miles they could be there at a reasonable speed. If they were needed

we would be stuffed thet have to get armed response from south.

Stuffed? You kidding? How many peeps got shotguns and the like to protect their chickens and other livestock from polecats? I'd hazard a guess that there's probably more licensed firearms up here than in an urban suburb of a city!

Sorry guys, I'm uncomfortable in joking about this topic. Maybe I'm oversensitive, in which case as I say, sorry.

But the idea of vigilante farmers with shotguns and rifles... it's not likely to happen because the Emergency Services would be required to contain any area and put themselves in harms wayout they had to,to protect thee and me.