Jonathan Wills Nazi salute?

Talonx

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the comments were between 2 folk and they both agree a measure to correct it, then that is it. JW may not have broken any Code of Conduct, I do not think there is any conditions of employment there to worry about.

The Code of Conduct for Elected Members is the one that should be used here. S.I.C. will have that available. Anyone can ask to see it, as with any other facts that are in the public domain.

An apology has been given and excepted. The End.

If you do not like it, don't vote for any of them, as they are both to blame perhaps. JS is as to blame then, why just pick on JW. Perhaps a vendetta.

In my book, by breaking the rules they have signed up to abide by, and releasing confidential information, for no other reason than to cause trouble for a colleague or boss, is backstabbing at its finest, and relegates that person to the same low elevation as anyone running around making random Nazi salutes.

In my book the person who leaked this to the press is a whistleblower not a backstabber. I'm just a member of the public though, my thoughts dont count.

I'm not assuming anything in particular about anyone or anything, notwithstanding the the press article is a pure fabrication, it would appear that Wills said or did something, in response to something Simpson said, that was construed by at least some of the audience as resembling a Nazi salute, during or around the time of a private council meeting. If he intended what he said or did to be taken as those took it, certainly it was a very ill-considered and very badly timed act. Arguably one that someone of his standing should never have been tempted to use whilst "on the job". However when he was called on it he withdrew his comment and/or act. That, as far as I'm concerned should have been the end of it.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think you're being realistic. He should never have used this highly charged and offensive insult "on the job" or off it, in private or in public, it makes no difference. He's a trusted councilor 24 hours a day.

If Gary Robinson can cast aspersions on Bryan Peterson and Louise Thomason's professionalism in their employment based on their private lives, and walk away from it with an apology, I don't see why the same should not apply to Wills in this case.

Obviously, they shouldnt have got away with it and neither should Wills.

Its about time that Shetland demanded a certain level of behaviour from its council members and actually expected results from them instead of listen to excuses yet again.

Apart from shooting himself in his fake goose-stepping-Nazi-boot this week, being negative and insulting people (and by mouthing off at the wrong time, increasing Big Dave's compensation package) what is Wills any good at? What possitive thing has he actually DONE since he's been in power? Has he actually had a good idea and seen it through?

He's all negative mouth and no creative trousers.

I challenge him to come up with a viable plan to rescue Shetland from the financial doledrums. I challenge him to be possitive and pro-active.

In the mean-time I also challenge him to keep his mouth shut and stop personally insulting other elected officials. Whether he likes them or not, they represent the voters.

Shetlandpeat said:

So, you would not stop it happening again if it did.

Holding politicians properly to account for their words and actions is what does stop the same outrageous behaviour happening again and again and again and again.............

As far as I can see, nobody who participatated in the proceedings is denying the events occured as described.

The fact that someone has broken the code of conduct/conditions of employment in this case is particularly ironic, but completely understandable.

Lets be honest - Wills has attacked countless fellow members and SIC officials via the press since he took his seat - it is inevitable someone could not resist the temptation to contact the media having experienced his making such a thunderous cock-up.

If Gary Robinson can cast aspersions on Bryan Peterson and Louise Thomason's professionalism in their employment based on their private lives, and walk away from it with an apology, I don't see why the same should not apply to Wills in this case.

Sadly true, but I fail to see how anyone can argue either case to be right (assuming the Wills incident to be true). It is a worrying precident - if it transpires Wills did do this, and is getting away with a simple "retraction", then what exactly do you have to do to be booted from the chamber! :?

Very understandable, yes, and highly unsurprising. In fact you could probably say it was just waiting to happen, but two wrongs don't make a right, nor does it do the indivividual(s) who blew the whistle, or the organisation they're part of, any favours lowering their tone to Wills' level.

Neither this case nor Robinson's very ill-considered rant can be seen as "right" from any angle. What both say, IMHO, is that there is a crying need for councillors to be held accountable, with some form of censure as required, for anything and everything they say and do while wearing their councillor hat.

Robinson, as a councillor was obviously entitled to write to the press with clarification of his own role as a councillor in a given matter, and, as a private individual he was obviously entitled to hold any opinion about anyone else he chose to, and express it as he saw fit. Where he started chewing on his own foot was to be both councillor and private individual at the same time in one letter. While an apology was obviously called for, he should also have been held accountable by the council in some way for the very basic error of associating it with his own private opinions.

Wills likewise, quite rightly should have been expected to withdraw anything the could be construed as a Nazi salute at a council meeting, if it was proven that is what he intended and did do, but he should also be held accountable for making the mistake of making it in the first place.

Without that accountability in place, both did what they could when called on it, and while its an unacceptable situation, until and unless a more appropriate system of accountability is put in place, its all we've got, and we have to put up with it. There is nowhere else to take the issues, so they might as well be left to lie, until and unless their respective constituents choose to judge those individuals on them come election time.

[*** Mod edit - threads merged and bold font removed ***]

A source has told me that he has just read a" Nazi piece of work" In the Sun on Friday. The source said it seems to indecates that the councillor known as Dr J. Wills.

Has been exposed as being so confused that he actualy thought that Josie Simpson was in fact the Fuhrer himself. And had to show worship to him, he could not help himself with out burst (along with arm and hand signals) "JaWohl Mein Fuhrer"

[MOD EDIT - MERGED THREAD - get with the programme man!]

A source has told me that he has just read a" Nazi piece of work" In the Sun on Friday. The source said it seems to indecates that the councillor known as Dr J. Wills.

Has been exposed as being so confused that he actualy thought that Josie Simpson was in fact the Fuhrer himself. And had to show worship to him, he could not help himself with out burst (along with arm and hand signals) "JaWohl Mein Fuhrer"

Guest Anonymous

I had thought about posting a view that JW might have been the source of this press scoop in the other thread as it was headed 'POLITICIAN' Jonathan Wills. I (as many do) constantly underestimate this mans self publicity drive

Correct, the person that informed the press is a Whistleblower. Perhaps the person in question just wanted to give JW a taste of his own medicine, I can imagine JW still has the tabloids on speed dial

A private council meeting is a meeting held in private- does not mean that the contents of the meeting have to be kept secret, in this case anyway no coucil matters were leaked, just the actions of a dim wiitted waste of tax payers money.

Can we all assume that anybody in a position of power can say or do as they please then, but as long as they say 'sorry' after then thats ok???

As certain small minded opinionated people seem to be bringing other unrelated storys into this thread- I wonder what JWs reaction would have been if (when he was peering over the wall through the bushes) he had seen Dave Clark in the garden doing Nazi Salutes...

We should have hung on to Dave Clark, as he was without doubt very clever- he worked for the council for a year and got paid £350k not bad considering he wasnt even qualified for the job... but then again he was interviewed by the councillors, shame they dont have clue about recruitment/vetting etc.. Hmm they could have used the councils very own personnel dept which just happens to be full of staff qualified in that exact field, but no, thats too sensible, they know best... Then when they want shot of him they make such a james hunt of it they have to shell out 1/4 million in compensation OF OUR MONEY.....

I don't see how knowing who contacted The Sun matters or detracts from any perceived issue arising from this alleged incident. Surely it is a side issue, if any? Why get so hung up about it, as though the "culprit" is worse than the person giving the alleged salute???

(I blame the Illuminati. Clearly their New World Order agenda has extended to Shetland's very own Man of Bronze... :roll: :wink: )

Seriously does anyone think Jonathon Wills is a Nazi?

I don't think so..

What a sad bunch of Shetlinkers fuelling the debate after reading the Sun and posting this on Shetlink..

Witch hunts are nasty!

And the rest of the world can see this topic!

Visit Shetland..

Seriously does anyone think Jonathon Wills is a Nazi?

I don't think so..

What a sad bunch of Shetlinkers fuelling the debate after reading the Sun and posting this on Shetlink..

Witch hunts are nasty!

And the rest of the world can see this topic!

Visit Shetland..

The state of the economy all has us on the edge of our seats, and it is pushing us further. People are hyper-critical of anything they can be at this moment of time, I've noticed, and a councillor doing this alleged act? Heaven forbid. Anyone who thinks that Jonathan Wills is a Nazi is clearly deluded or has an insidious agenda. Clearly, he's not. In fact, if the Sun is to be believed, Dr. Wills was taking the mick out of what he believed to be someone over-exerting their authority, and as he is referencing the Third Reich, he's referring to them as a group who over-exerted their authority - yeah, he's not admiring the Nazi's he's taking the mick. Jonathan is someone who has been in the headlines for "controversy" since he was elected. I can't personally support or go against whatever he has said or done do deserve this, but I can understand that sometimes a wry gesture or spur-of-the-moment action can be completely misinterpreted - it is only made worse by people who are seeking for someone to exert their frustrations upon.