Jonathan Wills Nazi salute?

Talonx

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it happened. was it done on council time. if so he was in a payed situation. what is the councils rules on offensive and racially offensive behaviour.

as dr wills likes writing maybe he would like to write to the paper and make a formal apology to those he has offended. if he is not man enough then he should be suspended from the council.

Seriously does anyone think Jonathon Wills is a Nazi?

I don't think so..

What a sad bunch of Shetlinkers fuelling the debate after reading the Sun and posting this on Shetlink..

Witch hunts are nasty!

And the rest of the world can see this topic!

Visit Shetland..

The state of the economy all has us on the edge of our seats, and it is pushing us further. People are hyper-critical of anything they can be at this moment of time, I've noticed, and a councillor doing this alleged act? Heaven forbid. Anyone who thinks that Jonathan Wills is a Nazi is clearly deluded or has an insidious agenda. Clearly, he's not. In fact, if the Sun is to be believed, Dr. Wills was taking the mick out of what he believed to be someone over-exerting their authority, and as he is referencing the Third Reich, he's referring to them as a group who over-exerted their authority - yeah, he's not admiring the Nazi's he's taking the mick. Jonathan is someone who has been in the headlines for "controversy" since he was elected. I can't personally support or go against whatever he has said or done do deserve this, but I can understand that sometimes a wry gesture or spur-of-the-moment action can be completely misinterpreted - it is only made worse by people who are seeking for someone to exert their frustrations upon.

Precisely. If he had done it in direct relation to the tragedy in Norway then I'm sure a letter of resignation would be in order, but he didn't ( if he did it at all, the salute I mean ).

It is just what you would expect from The Sun , sensationalising a trivial matter, making a mountain out of a molehill purely to detract from all the other atrocities that are being carried out on a daily basis around the world by countries including the UK & of course our masters the U.S.A.

The fact that it has kicked off such a large debate on the subject on a local forum is proof that this kind of media coverage works. There are far bigger issues that we face in the world today which people should focus on rather than what is essentialy todays " fish n chips wrapper ".

With it being a closed council meeting then nobody apart from those attending the meeting does know what exactly happened surely ? As far as I'm aware only a member of the council would know the string of events. The rest is surely just hearsay then...from information obtained from one of the filthiest rags around. Renouned for the lack of fact in it's reporting of current events.

With it being a closed council meeting then nobody apart from those attending the meeting does know what exactly happened surely ? As far as I'm aware only a member of the council would know the string of events. The rest is surely just hearsay then...from information obtained from one of the filthiest rags around. Renouned for the lack of fact in it's reporting of current events.

Nobody who was in the meeting has denied it happened, not even Wills. But I'm willing to wait and see what the more trusted Shetland Times will make of it.

Dr. Wills was taking the mick out of what he believed to be someone over-exerting their authority, and as he is referencing the Third Reich, he's referring to them as a group who over-exerted their authority - yeah, he's not admiring the Nazi's he's taking the mick. quote.

What if he'd used the n****r word to take the mickey (or in other words insult co-workers) - would that be also OK?

Where exactly is the line drawn?

Prince Phillip has made some socially embarrassing mistakes in his time and, if he'd actually had a "real job" would surely have lost it long ago but he never to my knowledge, gave a Nazi salute in a formal meeting.

I dont think the people of Norway are laughing at Nazi jokes right now?

Would you draw your line of behaviour acceptability on a position based on "as long as it doesn't upset yourself then it must be ok", or would you also include the reasonable sensitivities of the rest of society?

Wills did 4 things wrong.

a) He personally insulted and attempted to humiliate an other member of the council. This is straight forward bullying.

B) The Nazi salute.

c) The Nazi salute at an especially significant time.

d) Taking the consequences of what he did too lightly.

With it being a closed council meeting then nobody apart from those..............one of the filthiest rags around. Renouned for the lack of fact in it's reporting of current events.

Nobody who was in the meeting has denied it happened, not even Wills. But I'm willing to wait and see what the more trusted Shetland Times will make of it.

Yet nobody who was at the meeting has come forward to confirm it happened.

Your comparison of a racial insult and one of comparing someones attitude to that of an oppressive regime unless the alleged victim was German or any other nation that had nationals acting on behalf of the party is a bit off.

As there seems to be no further reported action, it seems to be solved. As voters you have the right to not vote for him if he were to stand again.

You could try reporting him to the Standards Commission, you won't though, will you.

It is the few here that seem to be blowing this out of all proportion, especially as apologies have been given and received.

A source has told me that he has just read a" Nazi piece of work" In the Sun on Friday. The source said it seems to indecates that the councillor known as Dr J. Wills.

Has been exposed as being so confused that he actualy thought that Josie Simpson was in fact the Fuhrer himself. And had to show worship to him, he could not help himself with out burst (along with arm and hand signals) "JaWohl Mein Fuhrer"

(*** Mod - Merged. Good grief! Is this the third thread you've created for this subject or what...? :shock: )

I would like to know who the snitch was that told the Sun! Or are we not supposed to ask?

This was a private meeting we are told, so it should not be too hard to find who was there and who the suspects are. :roll: :roll:

I think something overlooked is that it doesn't have to one of the people present who went to the press.

I'm sure many were aware of this incident long before it was reported - given how quickly news spreads through the council, then all it takes is someone quite innocently mentioning "you'll never believe what happened today" after tea and so on..

So it could have come from anywhere, then the Sun contact the SIC where they explained the matter as stated.

Rightly or wrongly, and whether anyone agrees or not, it is an open and shut case now in the past..

Prince Phillip has made some socially embarrassing mistakes in his time and, if he'd actually had a "real job" would surely have lost it long ago but he never to my knowledge, gave a Nazi salute in a formal meeting.

Nah, but his (alleged) grandson attended a party dressed as one. I'm not sure whether copying mannerisms or uniform is the greater evil.

Honestly, so the man made a crass gesture at a particularly inappropriate moment, and yeah, sure, he'd almost certainly have made a meal of it had someone else done it, but why descend to his level. Nothing can be done about it that hasn't already been done, until election time, its only 10 months.

It says on the news that you're experiencing sunny weather in Shetland today. I'd forget about the whole trivial incident & get the bbq fired up instead of going on about something that's been reported in The Sun. It's not even worth buying for the sport.