Salmon cages adrift

DARRON SMITH

Surprised that da Anglian Sovereign is sitting in Orkney when it could have got these cages under tow within a matter of hours if deployed to the scene. Why is it different if its cages rather than a boat?

Could it be that Shetland Coastguard didn’t task the tug to take charge of this hazard to shipping?

If so why not? – after all it was the Shetland community, including salmon farmers, that was instrumental in saving their jobs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Anglian Sozzled recovered a floating trawl net and took ashore a few years back and would have thought this would have been a similar risk to shipping.

At least it would be something to enter in her look book rather than lying at anchor or sitting at the pier doing next to nothing!

just cant understand why no news? its not just the cost of the fish but lots of other stuff to think about when this kind of thing happens.

It has been on every SIBC bulletin since xmas, which boat has last been there, etc etc. I suppose they need to cut them apart somehow and tow the cages back in smaller numbers. Or pieces. Not an easy job.

@Crofter

I'm affshore Victoria ida Bass Strait enoo so SIBC isna commin in dat clear,

ony y I wiz thinkin carry on lik dis might a been worthy o news crews a bit higher up da list as SIBC,

Weel mak dem da devil bit SIBC hase da news on dir Tweetin baak right trow Chrisrmas an NewerDe whan Radio Shetland, da Times an Da News canna be bothered tae open up atween times.

Weel done SIBC

Surprised that da Anglian Sovereign is sitting in Orkney when it could have got these cages under tow within a matter of hours if deployed to the scene. Why is it different if its cages rather than a boat?

Could it be that Shetland Coastguard didn’t task the tug to take charge of this hazard to shipping?

If so why not? – after all it was the Shetland community, including salmon farmers, that was instrumental in saving their jobs.

Before you get on your high horse, Shetland Coastguard have spoken to the Sovereign and they would be happy to go, but it all comes down to MONEY!

The Unst fish farm are NOT willing to pay for the salvage of the cages by a coastguard operation, they would rather contract someone themselves at a cheaper cost to do the salvage work, however this has backfired because by trying to spend as little money as possible then they have contracted a 'tug' that is not fit for purpose and on getting to the scene, all be it they managed to secure the cages in a tow, they weren't actually able to make any headway with a tow and abandoned it.

So i would suggest any comments, are directed to the company that own the cages rather than the Coastguard.

Other than that I note that Coastguard are keeping a regular eye on the drift of the cages, as the Sumburgh based Rescue Helicopter has been tasked to keep an eye on them, as they drift. Oh not to mention the Navigational radio broadcasts that they are sending out with the updated position.

Peerie rant over, sorry for the length. :roll:

@Crofter

I'm affshore Victoria ida Bass Strait enoo so SIBC isna commin in dat clear,

ony y I wiz thinkin carry on lik dis might a been worthy o news crews a bit higher up da list as SIBC,

Oh, it certainly seems just to be "local news" around here. Who knows where the cages will end up. Maybe Norway as Ghostrider suggests, or maybe the ness, if wind and tides are right. More media attention might materialise if the cages approach any North Sea drilling installations. How can plastic cages sink? - unless some anchors are still attached? Deep water and winter in the North Sea, not the best scenario for a successful tow.

SIBC News - The cages were 40 miles due east of the coast of Whalsay or about 45 miles south east of where they had originally been anchored (24 hours ago)

The cages were 40 miles due east of the coast of Whalsay or about 45 miles south east of where they had originally been anchored

That will be sea area Viking? Severe gale nine forecast for Tuesday, Forties up to hurricane force. Even the coastguard tug would struggle to tow them through that.

(dir laeklee rikkin aboot da ootlyers o' Norrwa be noo, sam is auld Bettie Moad...)

Denmark maybe looking more likely!

Winds will become mainly westerly Tuesday night but remain gale to storm force for a time before easing slowly overnight and into Wednesday. Strong to gale westerly winds are likely to continue throughout Wednesday, probably easing in the north for a time Wednesday night before strong to gale, locally severe gale, northwesterly winds develop across all parts Thursday. Winds back westerly and decrease to strong to gale on Friday

Stevo wrote :-

So i would suggest any comments, are directed to the company that own the cages rather than the Coastguard.

How about comments to the government........when they get back to work. A hazard to shipping is drifting out of control in an area of the North Sea covered by a Coastguard tug. Now all we need is a law allowing the Coastguard to send its tug to any hazards to shipping in UK waters. Never mind if the owners of the hazard want to try a cheaper method.......a hazard exists so lets get it removed.

Denmark maybe looking more likely!

They will need to avoid a fair few oil rigs to make it to Norway or Denmark!

The track from the Viktoria Viking on the AIS gives a good idea of where the cages are or were. I also see on the AIS that the Stenna Carron is lying off the back of Balta, she would likely be able to lift cage brucks, nets, and moorings in a single lift. Perhaps Lakeland (or whatever they are called nowadays) should engage Stenna Offshore to complete the salvage.

It may be about salvage rights, there may be no guarantee that the Coastguard can recoup the costs. It is the owners responsibility as they own them and it is the owners job to make them safe.

The Coastguard station was saved by the efforts of all the community, far and wide and the hard work by the staff and the union reps there.

shetlandpeat wrote

It may be about salvage rights, there may be no guarantee that the Coastguard can recoup the costs. It is the owners responsibility as they own them and it is the owners job to make them safe.
30 years ago I was enjoying a pre Christmas break on the north Cornish coast and it was only when I went into a pub at Sunday lunchtime and someone waved a lifeboat collecting tin under my nose that I heard there had been a disaster.

A coaster had broken down in terrible weather but despite having his own family on board the captain refused to call "mayday" and initially declined an offer of a tow from a salvage tug later accepting the offer after consulting the ships owners. But later was too late and a lifeboat was called out. Got four people off the coaster, went back for the rest and that was the last heard from either vessel.

If, and it has to be an if, the coaster had accepted the tow or called for the lifeboat earlier this might have been just another incident and rescue or if the coastguard had the power to order stricken ships to take a tow or alternatively have the crew rescued then again this might have just been another incident. But the captain delayed for whatever reason and in consequence the lives of him, his family, his crew and the lifeboat crew were lost.......16 in all.

The coaster was the Union Star and the lifeboat was the Penlee boat. And since then I have been convinced that the coastguard should have power to act in situations they consider to be dangerous within our waters.