Illegal Fish Landings

Guest Anonymous

Muppet, you may be wrong on this one, as to how they were caught. No reports I've seen said that, and Sherlock certainly didn't seem to think so either (posts on page 3). You make out like the fact they paid tax makes it okay.

Well, I'm quite certain i've seen it. If I have more time i'll try to seek it out.

I'm not sure that I see it as okay, but it does seem to be a bit more involved than simply that they broke the law, they got caught, they're all bad. There does seem to be plenty of tales of how everybody else (not just the UK) was doing it and if our own industry didn't follow suit, they would simply have been driven out of business.

It's one of those cases where I feel there's more to it than meets the eye but many will pounce because they see the fact that these boats earn a decent living to be obscene. Fact is that Shetland would be a lot poorer without a pelagic industry.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do we stand when dealing with Iceland and Faroe; glass houses?

Probably not where we've (allegedly) been standing so far. There's at least three sides to every story, and while I'm not saying the Faeroemen or Icelanders are right in their's, the one we're all being spoon fed is where the EU is telling us we should be standing, and not necessarily where we should, or perhaps want to be standing.

It’s awful da wey it da puir black fishermen ir being blemed fur aa dis poachin an laandin at da Catch – da puir sowls only wirk aboot six weeks in da year an da rest o da time dey ir on da dole – gaain around we da muckle sphincter hingin oot o dir breeks an looking fur a sub tae get a cup o tae – yis, you do feel sorry fur dem fur dey hae nithin better tae geng hem tae dan sometin no unlek a cairdboard box.

I tink aa you folk on Shetlink dat ir speking up fur dem shuid tak up a collection an get Josie tae present hit tae dem an maybe lay on a feed o saat herrin an taaties fur dem in da Toon Haa dat da Charitable Trust can pey fur.

The sad thing about all this is that Shetlands good name and reputation have been dragged through the mud.This was one of the lead stories on news at ten last night.

Joe Public not involved in the fishing industry or in the know probably wouldn't give a stuff. That said, certain members of Joe Public will have watched a recent documentary on (I think?) Channel 4 outlining how stupid the EU's policy of throwing fish back into the sea is and the recent campaign on why it should be scrapped/modified. Those members of Joe Public who did watch aforementioned documentary will not be thinking about Shetland's good name but many will probably be thinking good luck to them for getting away with it and sticking two fingers up at the EU.

Other members of Joe Public will, however, sadly, be thinking that Shetland is down near the Falkland Islands. :wink:

As a matter of intrest who owns the shetland catch.

There seems to be a curious lack of information easily available on this at the moment! However this Scotsman report says

http://www.scotsman.com/news/caught_fishing_leaders_in_163_15_million_racket_1_809511

Shetland Catch, which is a joint venture involving the Lerwick Port Authority, the Shetland pelagic fleet and factory staff