Teenagers in Shetland

peeriewife

I was on the street today and there was indeed a small collection of "youths" around the SYIS and they looked nothing more than bored really. Another genetic inevitability of reaching your teens.

The only "run in" i had with one "unsavoury" looking individual was when he thanked me for letting him pass me in a narrow lane. It warmed the cockles of me heart. I'm a big fan of manners.

The last run-in i had with similar yobs in the lanes was when one of them complimented me on my "cool tunes" emitting from my car as i parked it.

"When i were a lad....."(sorry) we used to gather at the cross with spikey hear and DMs and cases of beer playing godless music on tinny tape players and never gave/received any hassle at all.

Being a teen means hanging around looking sultry or even surly perhaps. (as pooks said)

It would be a shame to tar the innocuous daytime hangers around with the same brush as the late night potentially boozed-up known criminals who are altogether more unsavoury. If they are still up to their old tricks. Haven't heard much mention of them recently.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about kids at the cross do they enjoy the music from High Level Music or are their ears so bashed by what they normally listen to that they just dont notice.

Same street...different section. I see from the Times letters page that the Spiders Web has suffered an attack by cake. Probably by a kid heading back to school. No use complaining to the school........if the kids go out at lunchtime the school is not responsible for their behaviour. Some change from my schooldays where school discipline covered not only lunchtimes but any time a pupil was in the school uniform,

Seems to me that our 'street' has just become a playground. This certainly has nothing to do with SYIS, who do a really great job. Perhaps it is time they found alternative premises to avoid their being 'associated' with the behaviour in question??

It is more to do with the fact that da street is no longer 'da street', which used to be the hub of Lerwick and its main shopping area. As more and more of our retail outlets and business premises are outwith the Commercial Street area, there is less need for folk to go to the street.

So it is really a Catch 22 situation. The less people who go there, the more scope there is for the so called 'idiots' to take charge, thereby resulting in more and more people avoiding the place.

I don't think the number of youths on the street has changed all that much since I was one of them - there was always a mass exodus at lunchtime from the AHS to the street, and Saturday has always been a day for kids to go to da street (coming down or up from other areas of Shetland as well) and hang aboot with their pals, there being little else to do.

Crikey, in the early to mid 80's there used to be a fairly large gang of black-clad youths with ghetto blasters at the cross (or sometimes at da fort) almost any day when it wasn't wet and windy. I am sure a few little old ladies were 'gluffed' by them - but they never did any harm as far as I am aware.

It seems from reading this discussion that there's still, sadly, a lot of educating to be done on the whole issue of 'drugs' - and I don't mean among the younger population. If you take your information from some of the more lurid stories which appear in the dodgy press, you're on a hiding to nothing.

To imagine that, behind the 'smokkin dope' door there's an increasingly steep slippery slope which inevitably leads to criminality, mental illness and physical decripitude is ridiculous.

Do you have no confidence in your bairns' ability to figure things out for themselves? Do you really think they've no awareness of what's out there, and the issues involved?

Inevitably a few folk are going to end up with real problems, but I'd suggest that'd be the case even if the only 'drug' on offer was vodka.

The court's filled every fortnight with individuals facing charges which have resulted from overindulgence in alcohol - many of them involving serious violence - and they're often not reported simply because they're run-of-the-mill. Significant busts aside, you only hear drugs mentioned in cases when someone's been found to have had some in their possession when picked up for something else. (Usually 'looking a bit dodgy'.)

I'd be more afraid my kid was going to be involved in a fatal car crash with a drunk driver, than that they were going to be sitting in the corner of a party giggling and feeling a bit sick.

Thinking about kids at the cross do they enjoy the music from High Level Music or are their ears so bashed by what they normally listen to that they just dont notice.

Same street...different section. I see from the Times letters page that the Spiders Web has suffered an attack by cake. Probably by a kid heading back to school. No use complaining to the school........if the kids go out at lunchtime the school is not responsible for their behaviour. Some change from my schooldays where school discipline covered not only lunchtimes but any time a pupil was in the school uniform,

"Attack by cake"?

Sounds like the work of Pythonists to me...

I'm sorry, it may not be funny for the shopkeeper, but to call having a cake flung through your door 'serious' seems a little disproportionate. Semtex is serious. Cake is irritating at worst.

I take it you didn't read the letter in the paper then.

I'm not quoting verbatim, but I believe the gist of it is as follows.

The shop needed to shut thereby losing business on what could have been a busy afternoon. The stock affected by the thrown cake had to be cleaned, thereby incurring expense.

All because some moronic ned thought it would be funny to fling his uneaten fancy into the shop.

Perhaps there are two sides to the story and the shopkeeper had had reason to chastise said ned on a previous occasion - I don't know. It still doesn't excuse such behaviour.

Maybe the shop should keep the door closed during the school lunch hour. I know this should not have to be done but better to close the door for one hour rather than one afternoon.

Are you advocating that shops in Lerwick close for one hour while the Anderson High kids are out? 8O

Maybe the shop should keep the door closed during the school lunch hour. I know this should not have to be done but better to close the door for one hour rather than one afternoon.

What a load of pants!

The brave boy, who almost cost this shopkeeper a lot of money, should be man enough to own up. He will probaby just get a severe stonesing and the shock of his young life but perhaps that may teach him to respect other peoples property.

[quote name="Marooned in MaywickI take it you didn't read the letter in the paper then.

I'm not quoting verbatim' date=' but I believe the gist of it is as follows.

The shop needed to shut thereby losing business on what could have been a busy afternoon. The stock affected by the thrown cake had to be cleaned, thereby incurring expense.

All because some moronic ned thought it would be funny to fling his uneaten fancy into the shop.

Perhaps there are two sides to the story and the shopkeeper had had reason to chastise said ned on a previous occasion - I don't know. It still doesn't excuse such behaviour.[/quote]

No I didn't read the letter in the paper - my local WH Smith don't stock it, but, let me get this straight though, since the nationals mysteriously haven't chosen to mainline this story as a parable of societal decline:

A kid throws a cake through a shop doorway, cake debris litters some stock (and this was a run of the mill "fancy"? not a three tier wedding cake?) The mess was so extensive it merited shutting the shop to clear up? This situation is so serious it merits letters to the paper and an internet debate? Over a flung fancy?

Anybody else having a hard time taking this seriously?

[quote name="Marooned in MaywickI take it you didn't read the letter in the paper then.

I'm not quoting verbatim' date=' but I believe the gist of it is as follows.

Perhaps there are two sides to the story and the shopkeeper had had reason to chastise said ned on a previous occasion - I don't know. It still doesn't excuse such behaviour.[/quote]

No I didn't read the letter in the paper - my local WH Smith don't stock it, but, let me get this straight though, since the nationals mysteriously haven't chosen to mainline this story as a parable of societal decline:

A kid throws a cake through a shop doorway, cake debris litters some stock (and this was a run of the mill "fancy"? not a three tier wedding cake?) The mess was so extensive it merited shutting the shop to clear up? This situation is so serious it merits letters to the paper and an internet debate? Over a flung fancy?

Anybody else having a hard time taking this seriously?

You're off the mark Magnus.

It was a cake not a fancy, as you put it. A two tier caramel cake with, no doubt, lovely cream in the middle.

The woman who owns the shop is more than entitle to write to gher local paper about it given her shock and the fact that hand made Shetland knitwear is expensive. What the nationals do with the story is up to them.

On the level of social decline, are you suggesting the boys actions were "aright, just a fun?"

On meriting debate, didn't you reply to that same debate? :wink:

This is da letter in question

This letter is for the parents of some of the pupils at the Anderson High School in Lerwick

I am sure that most of you are unaware of what some of your little darlings get up to during the dinner-break, when they are allowed to go into the town and when they are yours, and not the school's, responsibility. I won't bother to mention the foul language and the litter which are a regular feature of this time of day on the street; just one incident last week.

On Wednesday around 1.40pm, one delightful, blond-haired boy threw open the door of the Spider's Web in Commercial Street and launched a misile of a caramel-coated, cream filled fancy. It hit a shelf and broke up, showering a large number of crumbs, caramel and cream.

It took two hours to clean upthe mess, carefully removing the creamy mixture from between the fibres, necessitating closure of the shop and consequent loss of trade. In the middle of the tourist season this is quite serious for a small business, not to mention creating a poor impresion for our visitors.

To the person who was responsible for this mindless act, I would like to point out that it was neither clever nor funny and an apology would go a long wayto showing that you are not entirely without sense.

I would also like to say that most of the bairns at the school are really fine and it is a shame that a few individuals have to spoil it for the rest.

Lousie Irvine

The Spider's Web,

Commercial Street,

Lerwick.

personally, i mind da primary school i attended in aberdeen banning da kids tae leave da school during lunch time, unless dey wir going hame fir dinner, due tae complaints made fae local shops etc aboot behaviour. Nae sure if dis actually made ony difference tho :wink: