1. 1. Do you buy Shetland milk?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunna buy shetland milk - but i wid lik tae.

da reasons i dunna buy it are -

1 - it goes aff really fast

2 - da tops are difficult ta get aff

3 - dere is always dried sour milky flakes aroond da tap o da bottle wen u open it - yuck!

if and when aa dis problems are sorted oot, i will definately buy it again :)

I never buy Shetland milk. I don't like the taste of Shetland milk, it doesn't last until its sell-by date, it is more expensive and the bottles leak in the fridge. My family goes through about 12 litres of milk per week so it saves a lot of money buying south milk, over a year.

I would buy it if it tasted good and was competitively priced.

From the Dairy Council website:

"Organic milk comes from cows that have been grazed on pasture that has no chemical fertilisers, pesticides or agrochemicals used on it.

The producers must register with an approved organic body and are subject to regular inspection.

Once the cows have been milked, the milk is treated in exactly the same way as regular pasteurised milk.

There is no evidence to suggest that organic milk is any more nutritious than conventionally produced milk. Although there have been studies to show that organically produced milk contains higher levels of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, these are plant derived, short-chain fatty acids which appear to be of limited health benefit compared to the longer chain omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish."

For the level of support for local milk in the poll, the majority of posts here seem to be negative?

Personally, I make a point of always buying local milk and butter. We've had no problems with keeping quality and only the odd leaky bottle - but the milk inside has been fine......

I always buy Shetland milk!

Never had one leak.

Had 1 or 2 that you can't get the top of but hey....It's not rocket science to grab something sharp from the kitchen drawer to open it. :roll:

Had 1, possibly 2 in the last year that went sour on the date.......big deal!

Never had yellow crusty stuff around the lid!

Anyway, thats my answer!

From the Dairy Council website:

"Organic milk comes from cows that have been grazed on pasture that has no chemical fertilisers, pesticides or agrochemicals used on it.

The producers must register with an approved organic body and are subject to regular inspection.

Once the cows have been milked, the milk is treated in exactly the same way as regular pasteurised milk.

There is no evidence to suggest that organic milk is any more nutritious than conventionally produced milk. Although there have been studies to show that organically produced milk contains higher levels of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, these are plant derived, short-chain fatty acids which appear to be of limited health benefit compared to the longer chain omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish."

"They would say that"!

Evaluating data from all over the world, Dr. Davaasambuu and her colleagues identified a clear link between consumption of such high-hormone milk, and high rates of hormone-dependent cancers. In other words, contrary to what the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the conventional milk lobby would have you believe, processed milk from factory farms is not a health product, and is directly implicated in causing cancer.

"The milk we drink today is quite unlike the milk our ancestors were drinking without apparent harm for 2,000 years.

Meanwhile, raw, grass-fed, organic milk from cows milked at the proper times is linked to improving digestion, healing autoimmune disorders, and boosting overall immunity, which can help prevent cancer. Though you will never hear any of this from the mainstream media, all milk is not the same -- the way a cow is raised, when it is milked, and how its milk is handled and processed makes all the difference in whether or not the end product promotes health

crofter thats yank milk. i would not be very keen on any food from there.

i was not aware that our dairy farmers used artifical hormones to increase production. i really can't see the shetland herd being treated that way.

if you have ever been to the usa you will soon see that there food i really poor quality.