Olympic torch

DizzyKipper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope people turn out for it. Rest of UK has had big crowds, would be a touch embarrassing if nobody lined the route here, don't you think?

It would serve them right. The rest of the UK don't appear to give a stuff about Shetland - apart that is, of course, them looking forward to having a large wind farm here to provide electricity to major cities in England.

Many people in Newham really don't give a stuff about the Olympics - apart from the fact they are 'being told' how to think and portrayed as it being marvellous, despite the fact many are unable to get to work and go about their daily business whilst it is on. Go into any pub in Newham, go round a street market and the majority of people are against it - but the media portrays otherwise.

The whole idea of the Olympics now stinks and is nothing like what it started off as. Look at the ticket fiasco for starters. Fine if you are a large corporate organisation but if you are from an average family living near to the stadium, the tickets are out of your price reach even if you did/could manage to get online to get one.

I think that this is a fantastic opportunity for Shetland to get some very positive exposure in the National media. We already have a correspondant from Radio 1 on the Isles and with the BBC coverage being 'all encompassing' it should give us the opportunity to pull out all the stops.

Quite a few people have said already that the Olympics seem so far away from Shetland, which is probably true enough, but this event is right on our doorstep and I think we should not only embrace it, but get right behind it and our fantastic torch bearers!!

Now lets hope for a nice day so the events at the Clickimin can be as well attended as possible!

Keep hearing some woman going on about how important it is to bring the torch to the far north. Pity they didn't. Nor did they take it to any of the isles. And with it being in Lerwick on a Sunday most of those living out of town who rely on public transport have little chance to see it other than arranging a lift or staying in town for the weekend. Bit like if they took it to the South West but only went to Exeter.

It's not my cup of tea and I suspect most folk will go(to Clickimin) simply because it's something to do.

Apparently there's a Coca Cola truck giving out freebies etc but bearing in mind the unhealthy nature of Coca Cola one wonders about the moral connection between that and the Olympics......

I think the main letter in the STimes this week hit the nail on the head - when most ordinary people are struggling to eat and heat their homes it's really a terrible waste of money.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/06/08/loganair-pilots-honoured-to-be-flying-olympic-flame-to-isles

Anyone got any idea as to the carbon footprint of this thing?

Kavi - precisely - the Olympic Games is just one huge corporate con these days.

^^ Its been getting blown out since before it even started!

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/06/08/loganair-pilots-honoured-to-be-flying-olympic-flame-to-isles

Anyone got any idea as to the carbon footprint of this thing?

Kavi - precisely - the Olympic Games is just one huge corporate con these days.

Completely - its infuriating how serious issues just don't matter anymore when theres some kinda party to be had.

Just look at this week, the SIC threw away well over a quarter of a million (according to reports at the time of the decision) on a holiday for nothing, yet are still considering closing Toilets to save a few grand..

Ahahaha, poor lass, look at her face!.

I really wish Shetlanders would boycott it and stay away but sadly I would imagine the simple masses will show little thought and flock there for something to do and in turn "celebrate" it.

Are the Olympics not held against a miry backdrop of allegations of corruption and vote rigging/buying?.

So, that's a good example for the actual athletes who are competing and for the spirit of the games......not.

*Edited to withdraw any offence.