milk

greenman

I find this an interesting time for Shetland Farm Dairies to announce their price increase. 7% from 1st September.

Not that it'll make a huge difference to most folk, but if I was cynical I would think that they were taking advantage of the current high profile support for local milk...

7% increase? Is this really the time for such a price rise? Are consumers paying for the dairy's recent re-branding exercise? Was anyone interviewed as part of their market research (if any) to see which design was liked the most?

As paulb stated, milk from the Channel Islands is a premier product; Shetland's isn't. What percentage of the dairy's customers are outwith Shetland? Without scrolling back, I think it was mogling who stated they had always bought Shetland milk and it tasted fine - if you've always bought it and nothing else, then you have nothing to compare it to.

It can't be easy producing milk up here that tastes the same as milk where the 'grass is greener', so to speak, which may be why the milk does not taste the same as some of its competitors'.

Never mind splashing out on fancy new (or by now, not so new) containers and giving posh new labels when the majority of your existing customer base is here in Shetland; personally, I couldn't give a stuff regarding the labels. If there are still problems regarding leakages, how on earth is it going to reach someone over 200 miles away intact?

I seldom buy Shetland milk. I'll buy one from the local store when I've run out but that's about it. By the same token, I'll buy Jersey milk as a treat every few months, just like I buy Shetland cheese from the Cheesemaker as a treat - but to hell with the idea of buying a mainstream product with a 'luxury' price tag.

I don't eat butter (or marg) so I'm not fussed about that. I would, however, eat Shetland ice cream - PROVIDED I liked the taste.

I happened to be bearing this thread in mind whilst shopping the last couple of days.

I won't be pendantic and post pictures, but to say (as someone does in a letter to local media) that the Coop predominantly stocks local milk is rubbish. Both in Lerwick and Brae, local milk gets 1/3 shelf space, being generous. Similar to Tesco's, which is obvious as they wil all, like all shops always have done, stock to match sales.

The good news is that it appears most people are buying from that limited display of local milk, so the balance may move in the local suppliers favour, if they can cope with demand.

Of course there will be a market for long life UHT (always keep a stock, you never know when you might get snowed in, even in August!) and the various non-allergenic varieties, but thats just common sense.

On that subject, sortof, is UHT such a complicated treatment that local "long life" milk couldn't be produced? I suspect very few Shetland households don't have some as a backup..

• 2 months later...