museum

paulb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is, on the whole, a fantastic museum but maybe, just maybe it was built too big and is trying to do too much....?.

Look what the Scallaway museum achieves and compare the size and funding!.

Still it's very sad and shows how dire the financial problem is in Shetland.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/10/18/threat-to-20-jobs-and-future-of-museum-from-new-council-cuts

Given that they are under contract to provide set sums for the next few years, my view is that these are cuts they can't make and Civil Court proceedings could be brought against them if they fail to stick to the contract provisions.

Would it kill off visitor numbers if the museum introduced an entrance fee for adults?

I haven't made it yet to the museum but it is on my list of 'things to do'. I loved visiting my local museum as a child and would hate to see the school children here not having this museum to visit as part of their education.

I'm listening to Radio Shetland as I type and to be honest some of what's "under threat" are actually just luxuries and need to go.

Promote Shetland and some Architectural Services thing?.

Mind you, the SIC are still not cutting the layers and layers of management and that has to go first.

"One option not open to the amenity trust is introducing admission charges, which is prohibited under Scottish laws guaranteeing free entry to public museums"

So how can it "run off its own back"?

Ah, didn't know that. I think some museums elsewhere in the world got around similar by charging for special exhibitions, talks and even sponsorship.

Edit: I forgot souvenirs! Oops! Some also charge for accessing archives and using the services of the archivist.

The museum is ace it would be a real shame if it's functions were limited. The displays are fantastic and the things they put on for kids in the holidasy are great. i'd certainly pay for the activities and events even if they can't charge for general admission to the museum.

What I can't understand is how the Haydock Cafe is run at a loss with the subsidies it gets, it's not as if the prices are cheap and it is always busy whenever I've gone there, often can't get a table.

It's a dire situation but for Jimmy Moncrieff to charge straight out and say it will have to shut and all the staff made redundant is not the act of a responsible manager. They seriously can't run the place with fewer staff? The scale of the financial crisis has been evident for some time and both him and Brian Smith should have been very aware is could happen to them, not just the Council. There hasn't been much sign of financial restraint at the Amenity Trust.

What I can't understand is how the Haydock Cafe is run at a loss with the subsidies it gets, it's not as if the prices are cheap and it is always busy whenever I've gone there, often can't get a table.

Creative accountancy to avoid showing a profit?

Always busy when I'm in as well.