How to get a council house!

pandagirl

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

putting difficult tenants in special accommodation should only happen in a treatment process not as a social punishment.

Why? As far as I am aware we are not talking about treating some self-inflicted "disease" or punishing them for the affliction.

Furthermore, I didn't suggest it as some kind of punishment or treatment and I didn't intend to imply that it was in any way 'special accommodation' but, it seems to me that having some kind of 'dormitory' arrangement of single rooms available for those in need of a little extra care is neither a treatment or punishment and that might actually be to their benefit in the long term. I was suggested as just a 'patch' to help fix a badly skewed housing system and might allow more 'deserving'(?) candidates to get somewhere to live at a price they can afford.

Even people who are buying a property have to look at areas within their price range, and for many that means commuting to work. One of the most useful lessons my parents taught me is that you can't have everything you want. It might be time to have more realistic obtainable expectations.

Is there a "LIKE" button? *pressing furiously"

I commute 19 miles (each way) to work every day and have no qualms doing similar in Shetland, why would I? I was born and raised in Manchester and do not like city life.. Lerwick may not be as big as even my local town now, but it ain't what I seek.....

putting difficult tenants in special accommodation should only happen in a treatment process not as a social punishment.

Why? As far as I am aware we are not talking about treating some self-inflicted "disease" or punishing them for the affliction.

Furthermore, I didn't suggest it as some kind of punishment or treatment and I didn't intend to imply that it was in any way 'special accommodation' but, it seems to me that having some kind of 'dormitory' arrangement of single rooms available for those in need of a little extra care is neither a treatment or punishment and that might actually be to their benefit in the long term. I was suggested as just a 'patch' to help fix a badly skewed housing system and might allow more 'deserving'(?) candidates to get somewhere to live at a price they can afford.

The hostel at Staney Hill used to offer something like this, but fell foul of new govt rules (or so I heard) which said the homeless shouldn't be concentrated in a particular place as it created stigma. But you don't need the responsibility or expense of an unfurnished house to start you off, and hostels can be exactly what folk need, not least because you can make social contacts there. Yes, there was stigma attached to Staney Hill Hostel, but you can turn that around. The residents did at least get some support and supervision.

hence therapy.

just dumping them in supervised accommodation because they don't meet the expected norm is no right.

were would it stop.

No, I'm not talking about folk who need 'help' I'm talking about folk who need somewhere to stay. 'Just dumping' them in an unfurnished house is no better. I would be delighted with a hostel bed if I was homeless, and I have stayed in quite a few in my time.

I worked with a guy in Glasgow who had a wife and young child and lived with his parents. As I rostered his shifts he was always keen to get any overtime going – he said he was saving to get a council house. Not to buy a council house, but to get onto the waiting list by giving his local councillor a sum of money – the more he gave the councillor the higher he would get on the waiting list.

Would the same system work in Lerwick?......answers on the back of a £50 note to your local councillor............

I worked with a guy in Glasgow who had a wife and young child and lived with his parents. As I rostered his shifts he was always keen to get any overtime going – he said he was saving to get a council house. Not to buy a council house, but to get onto the waiting list by giving his local councillor a sum of money – the more he gave the councillor the higher he would get on the waiting list.

Would the same system work in Lerwick?......answers on the back of a £50 note to your local councillor............

The Labour party is notoriously corrupt in the west coast of Scotland. just one eg http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/6589-gordon-matheson-apologises-as-sex-act-scandal-rocks-glasgow-labour