Views on recently watched films

Mia

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chasing Amy, saw it yesterday.

Amazing, amazing film.

There's a group of films untouched in this thread...the Askewniverse.

For the unlearned amongst you, the 5 (soon to be 6) Askewinverse films are directed by Kevin Smith and are all (at some point) set in New Jersey. The films are all linked in some way although you don't necessarily have to see all the films to understand them (although alot of the jokes in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back will make no sense).

Clerks - Kevin Smith's first film, financed on a number of credit cards and filmed in the shop he worked in after hours. The events take place over one day and mainly focus on convenience store worker Dante, and the worker of the video shop next door, Randall. My personal favourite of all the films, it being filmed in black and white does add something I think. Doesn't really fall into the "dick and fart" jokes category (although there are plenty) Mallrats does.

Mallrats - Dick and fart jokes aplenty. Brilliantly funny at times, Jason Lee is excellent in his role here as Brodie, a guy who spends his day hanging about a shopping mall. Filmed after Clerks, but set a few days before.

Chasing Amy - Widely regarded as Kevin Smith's best film. It's pretty much a romantic comedy with a good brain behind it.

Dogma - The "controversial" one which pokes fun at Catholic dogma. There was apparently a fairly big protest about this film when it was first released in the states, which is kind of pointless after watching the movie for 5 minutes...not that the protestors would ever do that. Two Angels Bartelby and Loki try to get back into heaven using a loophole in Catholic Dogma, Bethany (the last descendant of christ) tries to stop them.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - Finally, the recurring characters in all the movies got their own movie involving characters from all the previous movies at some point. Jay and Silent Bob (played by Kevin Smith himself) travel to LA to stop a movie being made about their comic book alter egos, Bluntman and Chronic. Lots of dick and fart jokes again here.

Clerks 2 - Out this month, I'll review it when I see it.

Not really a film but I have been watching the first series of Black Books! Its great I didnt watch it when it was on telly and I dont know why because I really like Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran :? !! I am definately getting the other series!! Are they just as good?

:D

• 3 weeks later...

When i was leaving the house earlier today, i was stopped in my tracks for as long as i could afford by the fact that "Goonies" was on. I'd forgotten how funny it is, banter-wise, and left the house fully belly laughing to myself at Chunk's capture speech to the Fratellis. Brilliant!

Then at the other end of the scale, after returning in the evening i sat down to watch the 9/11 documentary (wrong thread) followed by the film "Behind Enemy Lines". What a load of politically tinged high budget hollywood crap! I couldn't watch any more. I'm glad Owen thingummy went on to more comic roles, he needed to after this pap.

When i was leaving the house earlier today, i was stopped in my tracks for as long as i could afford by the fact that "Goonies" was on. I'd forgotten how funny it is, banter-wise, and left the house fully belly laughing to myself at Chunk's capture speech to the Fratellis. Brilliant!

I recently purchased the Goonies dvd. It really is a great film. Every bit as funny as i remembered. We were planning to show it to the kids but after test watching it ourselves we decided it didn't have certificate 12 for nothing. Dead folk and stuff. I'm sure I was younger than that the first time I saw it though. Damn fine adventure. :wink:

Not really a film but I have been watching the first series of Black Books! Its great I didnt watch it when it was on telly and I dont know why because I really like Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran :? !! I am definately getting the other series!! Are they just as good?

:D

absolutely! pure class beginning to end. i'd seen series 3 before i'd seen the first 2, but it doesn't really matter. they're all a joy to watch. :D

BLACK BOOKS is soooo funny! all three main characters are brilliant! i should really get the whole lot as well! my favourite comedy show is LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN! any one else like it????????

I am loving balck books we are on to series 2 and I cant wait to get series 3!!

I love league of gentlemen the starnge thing is how it is funny and really scary at the same time genius!!

BLACK BOOKS is soooo funny! all three main characters are brilliant! i should really get the whole lot as well! my favourite comedy show is LEAGUE OF GENTLEMAN! any one else like it????????

I loved serise 1 & 2 but when they changed it for 3 I didnt like it as much, I see the films on film 4 on thursday so will watch that! Are you local?

yeah, i hated the 3rd series. its the only thing they have done and i havent got! lol it was just really way too wierd for my liking, hehe (and im a wierd person and i still didnt get it!) lol. the film isnt as good, that get pretty dam wierd as well. but i still found it quite funny.

are you actually asking me if in local or you just doing the joke??? :lol: