Self-sustaining Shetland

BGDDisco

This is all very interesting and not being native the comments regarding who does and doesn't vote are annoying I would not rule people ineligible for this reason or for any reason actually I assume you don't want us all to be forcibly repatriated and I for one am all for autonomy as long as the fiscal case can me made

As far as I am aware if you are in the Shetland electorate you would be eligible to vote. I am positive the fiscal case can, and will, be made. 

The issue of taxing offshore workers is complex and not clear cut. I believe Norway does it. The UK has more than 100 treaties negotiated individually between the UK and foreign governments to ensure that workers are not taxed in both jurisdictions. We would have to start by negotiating with UK and Norway. But besides if we have independence/autonomy and our own EEZ why on earth would we not be able to tax workers in our own territory? Working on platforms in Shetland waters could even be made quite attractive by offering advantageous income tax for those workers compared to current UK rates.

I am not sure what agreements there are but I have friends who work in the Norwegian sector and are taxed in the UK you must pay tax in the UK if you are domiciled here or spend more than 90 days resident here

This is all very interesting and not being native the comments regarding who does and doesn't vote are annoying I would not rule people ineligible for this reason or for any reason actually I assume you don't want us all to be forcibly repatriated and I for one am all for autonomy as long as the fiscal case can me made

Must be "touchy sunday" :ponders:

It was me who raised the issue of who should, or shouldn't be eligible to vote and, as I indicted, some thought would have to be given to the matter.

At no point did I even hint at forced repatriation so, where you got that from, I don't know.

Anyway, the suggestion was aimed at including anyone with a "permanent" address on Shetland who was also included on the Electoral Role.  That is, those who live and work here on a permanent basis or, those (like yourself(?)) who have retired(?) here.  

no Coin it is you being over sensitive as usual :razz:

So Westminster would want Shetland to keep the oil revenues to prevent an independent Scotland getting the oil revenues, why would it matter to them they lose the revenues either way?

That wasn't what Scorrie said and, wasn't what I replied to..

Scorrie said "more fiscal control". (A point I happened to agree with.  )

Presumably (forgive me if I am wrong) he was referring to a situation whereby some form of "Crown Dependency" was in the offing. 

Such a scenario would (likely) leave Westminster with the larger portion of the oil/gas etc. revenues whilst we would also be "blessed" with the remainder.  Therefore excluding Scotland from a share should they (Scotland) opt for independence.

Currently British Overseas Territory status is being discussed but any variation is possible. I am not sure about Westminster retaining "the lions share" of anything. This would all have to be negotiated but it has been pointed out that we are in a strong negotiating position since we could technically claim all of the oil and fishing grounds for ourselves. 

What becomes of the oil revenues very much does matter to Westminster, giving us what we want could be seen as cutting their losses so to speak. From a strategic defense point of view, in the event of Scottish independence an autonomous Shetland within the UKs influence could be very useful. 

And as for the finite resource of fossil fuels - WIND will blow more here than anywhere else in Britain, for an indefinite time. 

Oh dear, and you were doing so well ... I sincerely hope you have more sense than to think that windfarms will be a source of reliable income.

And approximately when do you predict that the wind that drives the wind farms will blow away, Cranky?

And as for the finite resource of fossil fuels - WIND will blow more here than anywhere else in Britain, for an indefinite time. 

Oh dear, and you were doing so well ... I sincerely hope you have more sense than to think that windfarms will be a source of reliable income.

And approximately when do you predict that the wind that drives the wind farms will blow away, Cranky?

Well, there's no wind outside right now, George.

northerndiver hit the nail on the head. In my opinion, VE is too controversial to be decided by any politician, the Shetland people should vote on it. If we had an autonomous government we could hold referendums on massive divisive issues such as this as and when we needed to. 

Maybe, but we would need something of a decent constitution to be sure...  Politicians, of all flavours, just HATE asking the people's opinon on anything.. 

I think with a comunity as small as this, if you want a politician to know your point of view it's not that hard to let them know, but there are plenty of models of govornment that allow for much more participation from the people, the Swis one springs to mind imediately.

The size of the community and the ability to let our politicians(?) "know" does not seem to have made much difference in the wind farm saga particularly as the major local contributor (financially and with OUR money) is an unelected, unrepresentative body.

I seem to remember that, right at the start, we were promised a "vote" on it.  Don't hold your breath on that one.

As for participation, with modern technology, every "voter" (just about) has the ability to take part in every decision.

Viking energy is one of the biggest topics ever to be discussed in shetland, and could have one of the biggest affects on the people of shetland and their quality of life, so until you are willing to discuss it and tell people up front where you stand on the argument, myself and a lot of other people would not be interested in a self sustaining shetland. We have had quite enough of politicians not coming clean on where they Stand to get votes, and then it becomes clear that behind the scenes they have been pushing for Viking energy all the time while supposedly taking no sides up front.

If you are going to have a meeting and then say certain topics cannot be discussed then we might as well stay home.