Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

@ Admin

Given that the SIC has an equality policy, and given that many of the venues used (and roads) come under their control, how about a question regarding whether or not the SIC should continue to permit their buildings and roads to be used, especially when it is borne in mind that despite UHA basically being a private party with long waiting lists for new squads and/or squad members, it's also a case of institutionalised discrimination to which the SIC are contributing and supporting.

Does the S. I. C. really have an equality policy - or does it just want enough of us to believe they have an equality policy. After all, it keeps them being paid by us and it makes them feel big and powerful?

I always thought that there should be an ability test. If you can hold the torch up safely for x amount of time then you can join.

Start thier own lerwick uphelly a, then let the folk vote with thier feet.

A simpler solution could be to just "permit" squads to invite in female members, then over time there would be more gender balance. Mixed squads haven't been a problem in any of the country festivals to the best of my knowledge & part of the stewards/esses job is to police safe use of the torches. There are plenty of female & smaller men (in build &/or stature) torch bearing.

@ Admin

Given that the SIC has an equality policy, and given that many of the venues used (and roads) come under their control, how about a question regarding whether or not the SIC should continue to permit their buildings and roads to be used, especially when it is borne in mind that despite UHA basically being a private party with long waiting lists for new squads and/or squad members, it's also a case of institutionalised discrimination to which the SIC are contributing and supporting.

Does the S. I. C. really have an equality policy - or does it just want enough of us to believe they have an equality policy. After all, it keeps them being paid by us and it makes them feel big and powerful?

Well, even I managed to find it on their website!  Massive snip to:  "Promote justice and equality, here and overseas" and then they have a whole lovely document plus references to the Equality Act 2010.

https://www.shetland.gov.uk/equality-and-diversity/default.asp

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

I can't see any reason why they don't just say, actually there is no ban so you can apply to any squads as long as they comply with the general rules. i.e squads are currently at their max level and individual squads have already been set a max numbers of guisers. If a squad pulls out or get banned then there would be the possibility to start a new squad, but I imagine there is already a waiting list.

I can't see any reason why they don't just say, actually there is no ban so you can apply to any squads as long as they comply with the general rules. 

They couldn't do that, it would stop them feeling quite so snobbish and really important. They wouldn't be really important, in any way at all, but they would carry on being as snobbish as possible. After all, pomp and circumstance comes on very naturally.

Edited by George.

Maybe its time for the LK UHA to go 'back to its roots' with a change to the procession route and burning site.

Were it not for it taking place mostly on or in public areas, where everybody's opinion counts, the 'sexism' angle wouldn't be such a problem.

The current procession route and burning site is relatively recent in the history of UHA, 'tradition' doesn't give it much backing.

UHA was a 'dock's boys' thing originally, and it was burned on the steamer's pier......Given that the LPA have almost continous quay face now from the Waast Dock to the Bicht o' Greemesta, laying out a route someplace along it shouldn't be that much of a problem, its would be taking it back to its 'docks' roots, and the galley could be burned, at least against a watery backdrop, if not (preferaby) afloat.

All down to the UHA Committee being able to strike a deal with the LPA of course, but a private party, on private property, which is what it would be, can do what it pleases with regard to who they permit participate, or not, as the case may be.

I think that the real power in Up Helly Aa is not the committee, but the unelected forum standing in the shadows. 

That suggests that it may well be a good idea for the committee to actually do its job. After all, the committee is not unelected. It's not unelected although it only does what it's told to do. I suspect that it has all worked that way for an awfully long time, giving democracy a bad name.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa