Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

Women and their pleepsin about exclusivity, i don't know. Being a fan of (eating) homebakes i might fairly enjoy a membership of the SWRI, but i canna see that happening, yet i dunna get in a twist about it. :P

Njugle, I'm sure you'd be in HUGE demand at SWRI meetings doing a talk on a day in the life of a Shetlink Moderator, judging competitions, and eating home bakes. I'll ask around the district, and you'll be at 2 meetings every month this year. :wink:

Now, do you think you could get me into a squad :?:

Now, do you think you could get me into a squad :?:

Did that other Cooncil run forum not come to the conclusion that there wasn't actually any rule saying women couldn't take part? I'm sorry, but i cant be bothered to read it all to check.

Why dont you ask around and see if any squad will take you out mags and see what happens?

[edit]Seem to have got my quotes mixed up there! I'm not trying to suggest njugle's a wuman there, it was Mags I intended to quote.

WIMI, the thing that strikes me about UHA is the burning of the object that 'da boys' have worked so hard to make beautiful (we may argue over aesthetic merits of that, of course) ... in this respect, it is pure Dada ... art that exists for one performance only, and is destroyed in the performance.

Now that, ex-isle, is a fascinating idea.

Up-Helly Aa as Dadaist representation of our most fundamental fear.

I wonder if the guizers are aware of the depth of expression they're involved in acting out? :wink:

Weel boy, there are different theories:

One, that there exists a secret and exclusive society charged with the honerous task of purging the collective Shetlandic soul annually, which elects a Chosen One each year who at great sacrifice (mind noo, dey gyit nae Arts Trust grant fir dis) crowns a pageant, nay a Deep Dada Mystery Play, of great social and psychological significance, in which every guiser has a crucial place, though they may know it not. And all this is conducted under cloak of being a mere 'Spree' ...

The contrary theory - as A'm sure du kens fine - is that there is no organising intelligence, just the urge to swarm, and no purpose of any real significance other than a fine big blaze to warm the dark days. By this view, the guiding principle is not so much Dada as 'Gaga' ... and, as an earlier poster says, dat doeesna need analysed ...

Me, I dunna ken ava ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
because the Lerwick shops and business alwasy shut on a Wednesday.

I think in this day and age it would be better to move it to a Friday evening, Saturday to sleep and Sunday to ...........sleep?

What?! But how it is now always gives us an extra holiday! Plus lots of folk have to work on Saturdays anyway,

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa