Lerwick Up Helly Aa

peeriebryan

Female squad members in Lerwick Up Helly Aa (2022 poll)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, should women be allowed to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is logistics (already high numbers of guizers, waiting lists for squads etc) a valid reason not to allow women to participate in Lerwick Up Helly-Aa as squad members?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The current ‘male only’ squad member demographic of Lerwick Up Helly-Aa is….

• Sexist
    • Traditional

... and with those last lot of posts .... back to the topic at hand -->

Maybe you could suggest which thread it should come under then Trout ?

:wink:

I was surprised to see the bit about THE SUN in the bill as it happened only 2 or 3 days beforehand. I thought the bill was all painted up by then, also when are all the programmes printed ? Swift work !!

The proclamation is only signed up by the Jarl about 9pm on the Monday night - and the paint is still wet at that point. - The programme then goes to press with most pages already done just awaiting the final deliberations of the jokes committee - so in effect if Radio Shetland had a breaking news story at 5:30 on the Monday night it could appear on the proclamation at the Market Cross at 5am on Up Helly Aa morning.

All squads seem to have been a really high standard and the jarl squad were really lively. However, there seems to be an increasing number of squads using an outside choreographer. Although this means a better standard I feel it's a shame the guys are not making up their act themselves which is what I feel it is all about. Any thoughts?

^^

When a squad comes up with an idea they contact The Committee (after 1st Sept I think) giving a brief description of the act and the suit. The Committee then decide if that act is too similar to other acts or not. I think also it has to be an act that has not been out in the previous 5 years.

..., there seems to be an increasing number of squads using an outside choreographer. Although this means a better standard I feel it's a shame the guys are not making up their act themselves which is what I feel it is all about. Any thoughts?

UHA is very multifaceted and consequently people prefer certain aspects over others. I, for example, am mostly interested in the light-up, burning, galley building, as well as the acts. So, unlike most guizers I do see most acts.

In general I would say that the effort put into preparing acts (as opposed to the suits and props), as well as the resulting performance quality, is much higher than it used to be back in the 70's. At that time it was quite common to have several squads with excellent suits just walk around the hall in silence. At the same time, the amount of effort put into making suits and props has declined significantly. This is a bit of a shame, but quite understandable from a time/cost balancing point of view.

The point about increasing sameness in acts was, I think, meant about the style rather than specific theme, and it is true. There used to be quite a number of genres of act styles; acted skits, dance routines, visual "illusions," satirical songs, etc. Things do seem to be moving towards most squads now doing a dance routine to a tape, either a single song or a sequence of snippets. Although skit acts are less common, the other styles are still being used and I expect will continue. It is also encouraging to see that the use of live musicians in squad acts is continuing.

I certainly prefer a well prepared dance routine to just a good suit walking around the hall.

• admin changed the title to Lerwick Up Helly Aa