Underage drinking

Guest dabuoyfaedanort

I doubt underage drinking will ever go away, it is that easy to get drink from another person or simply take it from your home, you have to look at the parents and make sure they are doing what they can to reduce the underage drinking but it can't be helped if a child takes a water bottle and fills it up with vodka without the parent noticing I know i did that a few times.

Underage drinking should try and be controlled not stopped, parents need to introduce their children to alcohol and educate them about it. Not tell them they cannot have it until they are 18, that was the fun thing about underage drinking as you knew it was wrong.

It is one of those things people will never agree on such as the smoking ban. The police will never stop underage drinking it's a bit too late for that. I don't know why people cannot accept that and try and get it under control instead of trying to cut it out completly as that will never happen.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first drink at 14. Looking back that was quite young but probably didn't get "drunk" until 15 or 16. Now I have my own barin I dread the thought of her drinking at that age. Parents are probably to blame for children getting hold of drink younger and younger! They shouldn't be letting their children out to places they can gain access to alcohol at that age. I think halls are now 16 and over which should help? When I was younger it was 14 and over. Once I was 16 I think we were going to pubs but thats a thing of the past with pubs being stricter which I agree with. But as I said before I think soon it will be easier for the age group of 14-17 year olds to get drugs instead of alcohol. Yes alcohol isn't good for them but drugs are a lot worse. I haven't heard of anyone in that age group die due to the effects of alcohol alone but I've heard of plenty due to drugs.

Just glancing through the news about a 40p per unit minimum price, which would cost a heavy drinker about 57 quid extra a year, seems daft to me.

An extra £1.00 a week :wink:

In the case of underage drinkers being put off by higher prices, just think how much they spend a week on mobile phone charges, i'm sure a cut back on that would free up any extra money need for more expensive liquer!

And no, it is not all youngsters who partake in this activity.

Before going to a disco when I was a teen.. We managed to get someone to go into the Off Licence and buy us cider, fags and beer as we were under-age!!

Give the kids a break!!

You are only young once!!

All kids need the space to express theirselves!!

^^ Is having your stomach pumped the new method of youth expression then.

Having enough to enjoy it and remember it when you're 14, 16 whatever is fine, but having such a skinful that you're spewing everywhere, passing out in absurd places, and generally making a complete tee i tee of yourself isn't anything but setting yourself up as a laughing stock for not being able to know how much you can hold by those who do.

Yeah, sure, teens when I was a teen were at it too, and one or two did end up taking far too much and doing insane things that could easily have gone very wrong. But at least if they goofed up once, they never goofed again, as the rest of us pulled the piss of them endlessly for being so stupid, and the rest of us made sure we didn't make the same mistake as they had.

The difference now seems to be that regardless of how many do crazy things, or how well publicised it is, there's a queue waiting to try and equal their level of dumbness, if not out-dumb them.

It seems to have moved for the get well oiled and have a good time, and get away with it scot free ambition we had, to a competition to see who can pour the most down their neck before they pass out and who can be the biggest jackass in the process, never mind the consequences and aggro later, these days.

Minimum pricing will have no affect on the volume of booze we consume. As a smoker, I recall saying "when fags cost more than £4 a pack, I am stopping". Now certain brands are approaching £6 a pack, and I am still puffing merrily away.

As PJ says, an extra quid or so per week will have no bearing on consumption. Our norse neighbours have the highest pricing structure for booze; and the highest levels of alcoholism and its associated problems.

Lowest pricing structure in western Europe is France. Per head of population they consume more than the Scots, yet experience negligible public health issues. Why? Put simply, they consume alcohol in lesser volumes DAILY, not saving up for a Saturday night and overloading their systems in one go.

I grew up in a family home where alcohol didn't have a perception of 'illegality' surrounding it. Perhaps if teenagers were allowed drink under parental supervision, they would be less likely to source it elsewhere and down dangerous volumes under peer pressure on street corners?

Change attitudes and relationships with alcohol, not merely the purchase price.