Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

I'm sure arabia terra will be on soon to refute those lies and propaganda from those notorious tabloid hacks :lol:

sb, if you've got nothing substantive to say, please shut up, the adults are talking.

Oh, and BTW, a couple of months ago you claimed there were loads of predictions scientists have made about global warming which have been wrong. I asked you to list them and, so far, you've come up with nothing, so go to your room, you've got homework.

I have dealt with the P&J article before, but the Telegraph one is new.

But it's hardly news now, is it? Electricity companies shut down excess generating capacity when they don't need it because they don't have anywhere to store the power. Doh!

This is a problem with coal fired power stations, not windfarms. A coal station is basically a boiler connected to a steam engine. The boiler is basically a big metal box with a fire burning in it. If you put out the fire, the metal in the metal box contracts as it cools. This can play havoc with pipe work joints and seals as everything moves around, so it's a bad idea to let it happen. So, while they might take the generators off-line, the operators won't put out the fires.

These articles are a good example of media spin. You could just as easily have written them to show wind in a good light instead of the worst possible, as the P&J attempts to do, or a barely balanced article like the Telegraph.

All they really show is that coal is wasteful (as it always has been, you don't think this is anything new, do you?), and until we get further along with redesigning and upgrading the grid to suit renewables, it will remain this way. The faster we do the upgrade, of course, the less money will be wasted by this kind of thing.

Hope that helps, :wink:

I rather feel quite sorry for you

No half as sorry as I feel for you! Sheesh! If reading your screen gets you so provoked as to spout forth a tirade of abuse like that, I reckon you need to sit back and have a peerie think about your own situation.

intresting news on bbc radio shetland. viking have secured 680 million in principle from 4 banks. that means that the SCT share is 80 million. now its still a lot but has they and the council have wasted 10 million in the last few years its only 8 bressay bridges and anderson messups. cheap really. we are looking at a 5kw turbine that would pay for itself in 4 to 5 years so the banks must believe its a safe bet.

thats the trick. there is a chap in england thats willing to set up the turbine and we get the power for free(about 2k a year) he gets the goverment payments. now if i had the 20k to do it by myself it would clear a profit in 4/5 years with a 20-25 year life thats a lot of cash. the green feed in tarrif is ment to be indexed linked and assured for 20 years. so just getting the power should save us 20-30k over the life of the turbine.

Paul

Before handing over any money or signing any contract with this guy, I'd check the situation with feed in tarrifs in Shetland.

I seem to remember that SSE were not allowing any new renewable connections to the Shetland grid to qualify for feed in tarrifs.

Some thought SSE were doing this as a ploy to get people to support theit interconnector / Viking wind farm by making life as difficult as possible for small scale renewables. It also avoids the need for them to spend money to upgrade the local grid to make it more efficient, or to get on with building a new, more efficient and much cleaner power station.

So check if situation with feed in tarrifs has changed. This guy in England may not be familiar with the situation. Alternatively contact Shetland Wind Power (www.shetlandwindpower.co.uk) who know a lot more about wind power in Shetland.

Paul

Before handing over any money or signing any contract with this guy, I'd check the situation with feed in tarrifs in Shetland.

I seem to remember that SSE were not allowing any new renewable connections to the Shetland grid to qualify for feed in tarrifs.

Some thought SSE were doing this as a ploy to get people to support theit interconnector / Viking wind farm by making life as difficult as possible for small scale renewables. It also avoids the need for them to spend money to upgrade the local grid to make it more efficient, or to get on with building a new, more efficient and much cleaner power station.

So check if situation with feed in tarrifs has changed. This guy in England may not be familiar with the situation. Alternatively contact Shetland Wind Power (www.shetlandwindpower.co.uk) who know a lot more about wind power in Shetland.

To a certain extent this depends on the size of turbine proposed for installation and whether SSE are obliged to accept the connection request. Anything under 4kW would be ok on a single phase connection but once you go above this then there are currently issues with obtaining grid connection due to the grid infrastructure.

This is an issue clear of Feed in Tariffs really but obviously they are related however FITs can be obtained without grid connection.

Paul

thanks for that shetland wind power is working with him.

I would like to join this debate but AT is just too one sided, just makes me mad when someone is so blinkered.I tend to look at the pros and cons with every option, being an engineer and working with SSE in the past I have my own views based on facts not on hypothtical ideas but i do not think there is not enough understanding on this thread to merit my contribution

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy