Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

AT, can one now assume that you wear glasses and obviously need to go to Specsavers rapidly - you are perfectly aware that those turbines already in existence in Shetland are far smaller than those VE wish to inflict upon us. Perhaps I should have stated build one of the same size VE intend to and then let us see how it performs.

AT, can one now assume that you wear glasses and obviously need to go to Specsavers rapidly - you are perfectly aware that those turbines already in existence in Shetland are far smaller than those VE wish to inflict upon us. Perhaps I should have stated build one of the same size VE intend to and then let us see how it performs.

The Burradale turbines are an off-the-shelf commercial design, and they've done fine. Why wouldn't the proposed VE turbines work just as well?

Or do you have some actual, you-know, evidence, that the VE turbines won't be up to the job?

Because all I'm seeing from you here, is sour grapes and desperate flailing about trying to find any excuse to continue slagging this project off.

So, evidence please. Put up or shut up.

Do try to be civil, AT. Here is some "evidence" for you - are you aware that wind speed increases as height above the surface increases? Something to do with friction I think. So taller turbines on higher hills, not quite the same, is it?

eta - just for clarity, I am not suggesting that larger turbines will not perform, just pointing out that AT is using a spurious argument " Burradale works OK" =/=" VE will not have any technical issues."

The Burradale turbines are an off-the-shelf commercial design, and they've done fine. Why wouldn't the proposed VE turbines work just as well?

Or do you have some actual, you-know, evidence, that the VE turbines won't be up to the job?

Because all I'm seeing from you here, is sour grapes and desperate flailing about trying to find any excuse to continue slagging this project off.

No, I won't fecking shut up. You are the one who has spouted rhetoric for years stating how marvellous these things are - where is your evidence that the VE turbines will do the job?

Have you not asked yourself why today is the first day that they have stated how many jobs will be created? I certainly don't recall VE stating previously how many it would create.

Sour grapes - I haven't even started yet!

Have you not asked yourself why today is the first day that they have stated how many jobs will be created? I certainly don't recall VE stating previously how many it would create.

Err, that's a lie. VE have always been up-front about the numbers of jobs.

Of course, the size of the windfarm has changed since the first proposals were announced, so the number of jobs will have changed as well, but VE have always been clear about this.

Create around 42 direct jobs and a further 23 posts in support services

Create an average of 174 jobs during the 5-year construction period

From here.

We all knew this was going to be forced through, I hope all the financial figures add up, but personally I doubt it and let's face it it's not the first time we have seen creative accountancy. Do we need the money?.

The impact on the landscape will be massive a sad day indeed.

Well Wishart, Manson and co will be munching on the volovants and quaffing the Champagne tonight.

Yes - they will be dining out on VE's hospitality account - paid for by Shetland Charitable Trust, but then they are honest, upstanding, deserving, impoverished members of our community - aren't they?

BTW, Unlinked, are you seriously telling me that you've been slagging off VE since you got here and yet you haven't even bothered to learn the first thing about the project?

:shock: :roll:

When I first came to Shetland I read the documentation. I visited the VE website a long time ago. I don't recall the number of jobs being created being in the public domain then. IF I'm mistaken, I'll hold my hand up and say so, but I can honestly say I don't remember it being there. Likewise, when I was at the meeting held here at our local hall, people asked about the number of jobs and no answer was forthcoming concerning specific numbers.

Perhaps someone can refer to it being quoted in the press before today as to the actual number ofjobs created?

Regarding the arguing for/against this project on here - I feel that a number of those 'against' have actually managed to not help themselves with the almost childish posts. not to mention any names but a few posts today have come across as very much sour grapes and not constructive. I think it is wrong to say somebody 'doesn't have a brain' etc etc, just because they have a different opinion.

No, I won't fecking shut up. You are the one who has spouted rhetoric for years stating how marvellous these things are - where is your evidence that the VE turbines will do the job?

Sour grapes - I haven't even started yet!

calm down both of you.

look we may not trust our council members to know what they are doing but sse do. they are putting up 50% of the investment.

the turbines that are 10 years old which means they were designed probably 15 years ago. the new designes are much better designs. im in favour of it always have. but the figures must add up for it to go ahead.

if they are correct and we really must hope they are right the 20-30 million will help safe guard the services that we have and need. now is total going to pay us the same for taking our gas. well are they.

fact the council are useless and have blown millions on stupid schemes this is not one.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy