Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

^ Yep, why not throw in half a dozen when they're at it !!

Did anyone hear the rather shambolic speak easy on Radio Shetland last night when Bill Manson was asked about why no health assessment had been carried out. All he could do was keep reverting to the previous question about the referendum that never was and kept wittering on about how any outcome would have favoured their point of view anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/news/rs_good_evening_shetland/

about 25 minutes through the program, and sadly that's the chairman of our Charitable Trust !

I agree stilldellin it does sound shambolic. He refers to the ST opinion poll, you know the one VE derided when the balance tipped against them, then, brass necked, they embrace it as the definitive voice of the people when it suits them. They just don't want to know what people think. Perhaps too much is at stake to risk hearing the truth about public opinion.

I notice he says that they didn't carry out a health impact assessment because they didn't have to or they were not required to. I doubt if they took this decision after talking to people who express anxiety about the prospect of living in close proximity to the turbines. Someone posted about shadow flicker on here recently having only recently become aware of the possibility of it being a problem for them... maybe VE forgot to knock on their door for a chat.

if you want the hills to be natural keep sheep off them.

I second that. Sheep have no redeeming features whatsoever except they're edible.

And if you want the hills to be natural, you need a 5,500 year trip back in the TARDIS. Of all the tosh talked about VE the 'unspoiled' landscape tosh is the worst tosh. Shetland's landscape is ecologically devastated. Which brings wis back ta da B**erd sheep

I think a flock of sheep have a little less impact on the environment than a windfarm and much easier to manage when things need to change (http://www.snh.gov.uk/land-and-sea/managing-wildlife/managing-deer/sites/grazing-options/). Even VE's ES describes the hills as being anything but ecologically devastated (but maybe not for long).

I think that Sustainable Shetland should have a demonstration like last February. Lots of people aren't very happy because we all hate Viking Energy and we want the council to listen to our voices instead of leaving us behind.

not true its roughly 50/50. less over trusting the coucil to manage a project without messing up.

I think a flock of sheep have a little less impact on the environment than a windfarm and much easier to manage when things need to change (http://www.snh.gov.uk/land-and-sea/managing-wildlife/managing-deer/sites/grazing-options/). Even VE's ES describes the hills as being anything but ecologically devastated (but maybe not for long).

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Where are Shetland's forests?

Sheep have utterly changed (and damaged) the ecology, pretty much for good. And indeed are the primary cause of blanket peat. Twartree bits o windmills will have very little effect in comparision, and not for very long.

Yell will be next.

Good!

I think Scatsta may well have killed off Beawfield... ( and the Whimbrel )..

Wouldn't surprise me given the proximity. Would be very disappointing though, and ironic that an airport serving a fossil fuel plant would prevent a renewable energy project.

Yell had 1200 inhabitants when I was growing up - what is it now? under 800? You can't eat scenery (although you can eat whimbrels). oops.

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Where are Shetland's forests?

Sheep have utterly changed (and damaged) the ecology, pretty much for good. And indeed are the primary cause of blanket peat. Twartree bits o windmills will have very little effect in comparision, and not for very long.

I know, sheep grazing and trees in Shetland are not hugely compatible. I don't dispute what you say. It's another topic as far as I am concerned about grazing, moorland management and agricultural subsidies that might effect sheep density and have a knock on effect on moorland ecology.

I did actually suggest in my submission on Viking Energy that some of the income should be put towards reforesting one of the central mainland valleys. After first employing a sniper to take out the woolly gods first. Still think that's a good idea.

No subsidy should go to sheep. not one penny. not forgiven the one that bulted me in the face when I was peerie. Not forgiven the whole cursed species in fact.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy