Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

The main thrust of VE's argument is the economic benefit to the Shetland community through financial returns to the Charitable Trust of £18m per annum once the windfarm is fully operational (their estimate).

If you stuck the Trust's £250m in a building society you could get around £19m pa, without casting one peat, so who are these guys trying to kid? They should be made to pay bak the £1.7m they've already frittered away on this pointless exercise.

I see on the Shetland News report of the Sustainable Shetland meeting that they reckon the windfarm will have a footprint of 32,000 acres. Viking Energy suggest that it will be a mere 9884 acres.

Am I assuming the obvious, or is that the difference between the area of land "inside" the wind farm and the area of land disturbed by its construction?

Billy Fox is god. Literally. I mean only a god has omnipotent powers giving the ability to guage the Shetland population's views on this project and to make a statement in public which indicates that the 'silent majority' are actually against this project. I'm sorry, but Sustainable Shetland is sounding to me, more and more to me like a religion, and we all know how the 'kirk' numbers are falling.

These kind of things alienate people and to be honest we had a bloody good laugh about this in the pub tonight.

Like others I know (a straw poll conducted tonight) most folk look forward to some reasoned and dare I say it rational and grown-up debate on the issue instead of the mud-slinging match which appears to be developing. Perhaps it would be a good idea for Messrs Fox and Learmonth to meet with Messrs Thomson and Preist in order to discuss and agree on the basis of the facts developed before they enter the arena and to end some of this pointless debate via media.

I think the work done by VE has been important and the consultation has been pretty good on the issues which need to be discussed for which is obviously an important project for Shetland. At no time, as far as I am aware, has VE gone ahead and said this must be built (correct me if I am wrong) but has concentrated on gathering the facts and presenting them for discussion.

I am all for openess and discussion but surely some benefit could arise for both parties if they could meet to establish the basis for some facts (look before you leap and all that)...?

Well said, Mutley!

I almost laughed me head aff when I read some of the drivel that came out from Wednesday's meeting. What was Allen Fraser on aboot? 22 years to erect the windfarm! I happen to have a friend who drives bloody big cranes and he informs me that when wind conditions aren't suitable for single crane lifting, guess what, you simply use two cranes and thus spread the load and increase stability, no problem!

It is exactly this type of twaddle that could well turn the undecided against groups such as Sustainable Shetland.

Vice-chair, Mr Learmonth, was also one of the original spouters of the nuclear reactor theory... also utter twaddle!

IMO the real arguments against this project are economic, visual and environmental impact. It would be in Sustainable's interests if they veted some of the rhetoric prior to such meetings and then we might, just might, get a more "rational and grown-up debate". Here's hoping! :wink:

http://shetlopedia.com/images/c/c2/PicSullomVoeOT1.jpg

This is a photo of Sullom with the flare in the background. I think the flare is around 200m high tho' that's a vague memory from years ago when I worked there so if anyone actually knows, please correct me.

http://shetlopedia.com/images/5/5d/PicInsideSullomVoeOT.jpg

Some more.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=indexes&s=item&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czoxMjoiR2FsbGFnaGVyLCBSIjt9&pg=16

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=indexes&s=item&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czoxMjoiR2FsbGFnaGVyLCBSIjt9&pg=84

If anyone wants to try some photoshop magic on those images, it might help with visualisations of the windfarm. That's all the photo's I could find on the net.

Edit: This is a good one, kind of puts the visual impact of a windfarm into perspective.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=indexes&s=item&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czoxMjoiR2FsbGFnaGVyLCBSIjt9&pg=88

Some sensible posts here recently.

I've still not set foot firmly in either camp yet, mainly because i'm a toony and won't have to look at the things over breakfast every morning and I believe those that will should have more say then me.

There are some compelling arguements for and against, but for heavens sake, keep the debate sensible or you'll not score any points. I dont care how well Allan can predict the weather, and he may well be correct in saying that there are only seven weeks a year that suitable wind conditions are prevalent, but there are another 45 weeks a year that will have plenty of suitable weather windows to get turbines erected. What he's saying is pure deceipt and is at least as bad as what Sustainable Shetland is accusing Viking Energy of.

There's no doubt that this is a big issue for Shetland, but lets decide it on facts, not gossip, rumour or scaremongering. Sustainable Shetland has already lost a lot of brownie points in my eyes.

That's why so many people turned up to voice their real concern to get this mad cap project stopped.

Once more we get this mind-reading drivel. I am sorry but my understanding was that Jonathan Wills was 'applauded' for attending the meeting. This being the case I think the meeting (although it probably acted as a stage for the , 'i've made my mind up already that I don't want a windfarm in Shetland and I don't care what you say - talk to the hand as the face ain't listening' brigade) that there were folk there who were genuinely interested in what the modus operandi of SS was.

The people of Shetland need a good analysis of the project and that as far as I can see is happening.

I've still not set foot firmly in either camp yet, mainly because i'm a toony and won't have to look at the things over breakfast every morning and I believe those that will should have more say then me.

I agree, Muppet.

I can honestly say hand on heart that it wouldn't bother me if I lived in Aith, etc. but I fully understand how others might feel very differently. However, at the end of the day the decision will not be made by the residents of Nesting, Aith, Voe, etc.

Residents will be offered compensation but again not everyone will find this a suitable solution. I truly hope that locals will see the clear benefits for Shetland on the whole and will come round to the idea.

IMO there will be no bigger topic of debate within Shetland for the foreseeable future. This is a window of opportunity which could secure the long term future of Shetland's economy. If we don't have the vision to see the clear benefits this will bring then it most probably will not come around again!

Re. Wednesday's meeting, PJ. I would have gone if I was welcome but unfortunately Sustainable chose to avoid debate which meant folk like me were not welcome.

However, I've no doubt there will be plenty of opportunity in the future though. :wink:

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy