Complementary therapies

breeksy

What therapies have you had/would consider having?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What therapies have you had/would consider having?

• I have had massage and would go again
    • I have had reflexology and would go again
    • I have had energy therapies (eg reiki/bio-energy) and would go again
    • I have tried a therapy not mentioned and would go again
    • I have tried more than one therapy and would go again
    • I have tried one or more therapies and would not go again
    • I have never had any but would consider it
    • I would not consider trying any complementary therapies

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
NICE (The National Institute for Clinical Excellence) are recommending acupuncture for persistent low back pain:

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG88NICEGuideline.pdf

(page 12)

I wonder how people might be able to access that? Probably not enough capacity in Shetland.

There is definitely one, possibly two nurses trained in acupuncture at the GBH. The consultant anaesthetist was also a practitioner and advocate of acupuncture but he left Shetland last year I think. :wink:

NICE (The National Institute for Clinical Excellence) are recommending acupuncture for persistent low back pain:

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG88NICEGuideline.pdf

(page 12)

I wonder how people might be able to access that? Probably not enough capacity in Shetland.

The chiropractors in bolts can do acupuncture, it's a weird sensation but used alongside more standard methods it definately helped me. Has anyone been in the flotation tank on bressay?

MJ

the waa's doctors do acupuncture

:roll:

Do they do crystal healing as well? Only my crystals are feeling really rough just now. :lol:

If youre suffering from gout that badly sweetheart, I would recommend a lifestyle change. Sitting infront of a computer all day will only make the crystals rougher.

There is definitely one, possibly two nurses trained in acupuncture at the GBH. The consultant anaesthetist was also a practitioner and advocate of acupuncture but he left Shetland last year I think. :wink:

Janine at the Hillswick Health Centre has "an interest in acupuncture, particularly for musculoskeletal pain, irritable bowel syndrome and period pains."

http://hillswicksurgery.moonfruit.com/#/dr-macdonald/4524168586

I am searching for a good massage therapist, which will rejuvenate me not only physically but also mentally. I wish to feel revitalized with new energy and feel refreshed because of the travels over the last ten months has left me feeling very drained and exhausted.

(*** Mod - Merged ***)

My osteopath was absolutely blinding and fantastic in getting me back into shape after some idiot knocked me off my motorbike when I was waiting to turn left at a junction. Granted, it did take several months for me to really appreciate the benefits but whenever I suffered any other muscular skeletal problem, I'd pop along.

I reckon these days with folks sitting in bad positions, slouching, etc., perhaps we should get a sort of MOT workout once a year with one to whack all those bones back into the correct position!

I've also used arnica after major operations and the consultants have been astounded with how quickly I've healed/recovered.

I use herbal/homeopathic treatment on the two mutts to good effect.

However, I did get some other form of massage treatment (can't remember its name) courtesy of being referred from local GP when I was in London and unfortunately have to report that it was absolutely useless.

Must admit, the best massage I ever had was in Borneo.

• 6 months later...

Sceptics stage homeopathy 'overdose' to discredit drugs

Homeopathy sceptics have staged a mass "overdose" of homeopathic remedies, in a bid to prove they have no effect.

Protesters ate whole bottles of tablets at branches of Boots in places such as Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, London, Leicester, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

They have asked the pharmacy chain to stop selling the remedies, which they call "scientifically absurd".

The Society of Homeopaths called it a "stunt". Boots said it followed industry guidelines on homeopathy.