Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Almost no project the SIC spends money on is self sustaining, schools, leisure centers, old folks homes, ferries.... they all cost more to run than they take in in payments/government funding.

Different people have different views on the importance of each area of spending, but I think the realistic way ahead has to be for any new capital spending to be on projects that do not commit us to unsustainable levels of revenue costs - that at least prevents the situation getting any worse.

I think that is a very good point. Control capital expenditure by all means, but the revenue demands will be the problem. Mareel's projections in terms of revenue costs are described as conservative and compare very favourably, i.e. lower, than that of the Leisure Centres. The Museum's running costs puts Mareel in the miniscule demands region by comparison with their whopping costs. So is this just another "I don't like Mareel" whinge or a real concern?

Another poster has raised the issue about the possibility of Mareel taking revenue away from other SIC/Trust/whatever venues - I think that point needs closer examination, but I don't think that Mareel will be the problem. I would ask twhy has the new Anderson High School design got the equivalent of nearly a whole Clickimin Centre attached to it (euphemistically called the Gymnasium) with the supposed justification that there is a need for it amongst the public? Yes the current AHS facilities are in demand, but when you see that AHS are undercutting SRT by so much it is no wonder. We already have the excellent leisure facilities at the Clickimin so why is the AHS trying to put the SRT further into the poor house?

I think that we're looking in the wrong direction right now and the proposed AHS building will have far more of a detrimental effect on the public coffers than anything Mareel can ever do.

In any case, projections are done to gain funding, and say what the potential funder needs them to say in order to back the project. Chances are the projections will be nothing like the actual figures. And if they are, it will be a fluke.

A sad indictment of the grant process - are you saying that everyone lies on their applications?

In any case, projections are done to gain funding, and say what the potential funder needs them to say in order to back the project. Chances are the projections will be nothing like the actual figures. And if they are, it will be a fluke.

A sad indictment of the grant process - are you saying that everyone lies on their applications?

It's not a lie - its a projection of what MIGHT happen - as such an educated guess - and they could be right. But there is so many factors within a new business that it would be almost impossible (or very lucky) to give a projection that was close to the actual figures one trading started. They haven't traded so can't use actual figures.

Existing business can be more accurate in their projections as they have knowledge of demand, new business have to make guesses based on what they think might happen - and will provide the figures that they think the grant provider wants to see. Why wouldn't they?

Even though funding for this project is not mainly SIC they or one of its subsidiaries (not sure what the Trusts are called, charity’s??) will end up picking up the tab for the gap in running cost to income. Where do people expect this money to keep coming from???

If somebody knows how the never ending pot of money keeps being replenished with excess cash give me a shout!!

You can view draft design documents on the SIC website - www.shetland.gov.uk/capitalprogramme/documents/LCM_designstatement_lowquality.pdf

Does anyone know what stage of consultation the design is at? I strongly support the concept of Mareel, but I'm not sure about the design.

Word has gone out in construction circles:

CNPlus.co.uk[/url]"]Shetland Arts Development Agency is inviting bids for a £8.3 million contract to build a new centre for cinema and live music despite calls to stop the development.

(CNPlus is a construction news website).

Word has gone out in construction circles:

CNPlus.co.uk[/url]"]Shetland Arts Development Agency is inviting bids for a £8.3 million contract to build a new centre for cinema and live music despite calls to stop the development.

(CNPlus is a construction news website).

I haven't had a gander at CN plus this week, I take it the designs and everything have been approved?.

Been told that if you post a view on the Mareel Bebo or Myspace web site, and it is -ve they remove it. Anybody experienced this??

That is completely untrue

If 'negative' comments are posted they are responded to in a constructive manner (if a response is applicable)

I am afraid that I have heard exactly the same, but rather than remove a statement it is simply not added and further attempts result in your entry being blocked - this is not exactly balanced.

Full article doesn't mention plans, merely that 'hurdles are yet to be overcome' as mentioned in this thread. I would imagine that plans must have been in some ways approved before the news would be reported that invitations are out to submit bids. Unless of course CN Plus are factually wrong at this time. :?

Been told that if you post a view on the Mareel Bebo or Myspace web site, and it is -ve they remove it. Anybody experienced this??

That is completely untrue

If 'negative' comments are posted they are responded to in a constructive manner (if a response is applicable)

I am afraid that I have heard exactly the same, but rather than remove a statement it is simply not added and further attempts result in your entry being blocked - this is not exactly balanced.

Again, that is completely untrue. I look after both sites and no comments have been removed or "not added" and no-one has been blocked. The majority of posts on the Bebo and MySpace sites have been in support of Mareel and, as I stated, negative comments and/or questions are responded to constructively

There would be little point in encouraging debate on Shetlink and suppressing debate on Bebo and MySpace. The aim is to provide people with information and the opportunity to ask questions and voice their opinions

(However, if folk post comments using bad language, whether +ve or -ve, the comment will be removed or edited, exactly the same as Shetlink's policy)

I haven't had a gander at CN plus this week, I take it the designs and everything have been approved?.

The plans are in the final stages and a planning decision is due in late April.

Unless of course CN Plus are factually wrong at this time. :?

CN Plus could have been more accurate with the statement that

The Health and Safety Executive has opposed the development on the basis a nearby fuel-storage site is too close, submitting a formal objection to the Shetland Islands Council.

The HSE didn't submit a 'formal objection', rather they raised concerns that plans were contrary to their guidelines and have been working with the parties involved to reach a solution