Would you rather see £100000 spent on India or Shetland?

Styles

Was so glad to see people in the Shetland Times getting the boot into that (** MOD EDIT **) Drew Ratter in the Shetalnd Times letters. I think it should be up to the individual and the state as a whole to give to any deserving cause, not a small local authority with other peoples money giving to somthing that allready was greatley supported.

The Council moan they have no cash. I for one would rather see my £100000 spent on old folk or the disabled here than given to the other side of the world to somthing that gives Shetland nothing. It may be well and good and people will cry how could I say this etc, but its what everyone I speak to says and I see things black and white, all i see is a loss to shetland and its needy and no gain. You people may say but their needy are more needy and I would agree but its not a local authorities place to spend its peoples money on somthing like this, it should be the individuals or the actual contries responsibility. Not a local authority that says it has to make cuts and wants to charge old folk etc.

I would tell Drew etc that spend your own cash and do so sensibley but not the tax payer of Shetland (if u want a holiday pretend u are one for nuclear disarment etc for a good skive). £100000 could go a long way in Shetland for the old and disabled here than wasted on somthing we will never get anything out of except to have given Drew a "better" understanding of the situation.

(** MOD EDIT ** 1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not post (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory posts, harrassment, impersonation and trolling will not be tolerated.)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the money should be spent in Shetland. We are talking about a bloated, dysfunctional organisation that is incapable of managing its own affairs, giving away money that should benefit the taxpayers of Shetland.

The SIC priority is to look after themselves, look after their relatives, friends and families instead of the population of Shetland. Shetland should spend it's money at home and leave the 1 billion inhabitants in India to take care of their business. What will £100,000.00 do spread amongst that many anyway?

I for one would rather see my £100000 spent on old folk or the disabled here than given to the other side of the world to somthing that gives Shetland nothing.

£100000 / 20000 = 5

^This is a bit rough on figures but the end result is much the same, styles you dont have £5 to spare? £100000 isnt a lot of money on a global scale.

Spent on the old folk eh? did you know it costs £700+/- pounds a week for someone to stay in Taing House. £2800 a month, £33600 per annum. So how many old folks could that amount pay for to stay at an SIC home?

I for one would rather see my £100000 spent on old folk or the disabled here than given to the other side of the world to somthing that gives Shetland nothing.

£100000 / 20000 = 5

^This is a bit rough on figures but the end result is much the same, styles you dont have £5 to spare? £100000 isnt a lot of money on a global scale.

Spent on the old folk eh? did you know it costs £700+/- pounds a week for someone to stay in Taing House. £2800 a month, £33600 per annum. So how many old folks could that amount pay for to stay at an SIC home?

3. The old folk should come first. Not against looking after the old folk are you??

What you could do is use the 100000 to build the old folks home in India, move them out there and use local labour to do the caring, that way we would use our 100000 to set up a more cost effective way of caring for our old folk and help out the locals. Also it would be a nicer climate for them. :idea: we could send Drew Ratter out as a test case?

Dont you think its slightly unfair that three old folk get a REALLY nice time in Taing House, rather than THOUSANDS of indians getting fed, shelter, health care etc?

No. Most of it in India is self inflicted. I am sure that the "3 old folk" would rather the money be spent on them. Like me, your old folk gave you a decent life so it seems fair that we repay them in some way during their latter years..

Nice one penfold :D :D I'm sure that he will appreciate it when he gets older. Then again, he's probably on a monster size pension & could afford his care when he retires. Now, where will that be?? Shetland? India? San Francisco? Bet it will be in some nice warm sunny place.

Spending 100k can be debated but surely sending councillors and officials out to see what they have spent it on is scandelous?

You make spending public money on sending Drew Ratter on an all-expenses-paid luxury holiday to the other side of the world sound like a bad thing.

What you could do is use the 100000 to build the old folks home in India, move them out there and use local labour to do the caring, that way we would use our 100000 to set up a more cost effective way of caring for our old folk and help out the locals. Also it would be a nicer climate for them. Idea we could send Drew Ratter out as a test case?

Brilliant post Penfold!

It's more radical, blue-sky thinking like this that's needed in the Town Hall. I implore you to stand for election. The only downside would be the massive carbon footprint made by the family and friends of aforementioned old folks as they fly out to Mumbai every weekend to visit.

True but the council would of course lay on the second of its planes to ferry families to the sub continent, so the cost would be minimal :o , or they could use a extractor system on the town hall to channel all the hot air from the debating chamber to fill a hot air balloon on the roof and use that as a mode of transport for the families, thus further reducing the councillors already minimal impact on our daily exsistance :D

In an ideal world borders wouldn't come into it (or even exist IMO), in terms of being deserving the old folks of Shetland probably have a better standard of life to start with.

I agree however it's more a state and individual responsibility to give aid.

Or at the very least just not a local authority that is in such dire financial states anyway, and still appears intend on spending like it's going out of fashion.