Evil Dead and or horror movies genre!

Starting to dig a little deeper into these forums now as my moving date draws ever nearer and I was delighted to find this thread..... turned to disappointment when I saw how small the response was though :(

I'm a big horror fan myself, have been since I watched Nightmare on Elm St as a small kid. In all honesty I would say about 85% of my movie watching is horror-based....and I watch A LOT of movies. I'm a bit of a sucker for the Special edition DVD releases which I find can be particulalrly spectacular in the horror genre and pride myself on my DVD collection which also includes a number of autographed movies.

I'm considering starting up a bit of a horror film club when I've settled in to Shetland life and was wondering whether you guys thought it would garner much interest? Something along the lines of meeting up once a month to watch classic horror movies like Night of the living dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday 13th etc, drink beer and talk rubbish.

Anyway, for what it's worth, these are my current (tends to change depending on my mood) top ten horror movies in no particular order.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Evil Dead

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead

Day of the Dead

Suspiria

Nightmare on Elm Street

Shutter

Ju-on

Ringu

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dawn of the Dead is my favourite horror movie of all time.

Think you could remake it in Shetland, and have our band of heros holed up in the toll clock shopping centre. At their disposal they would have amongst other items - holiday brochures, plant killer and yoghurt coated raisons from scoop to combat the hoardes of zombies.

Classic Lines could be "Why do they come here? Its because they remember getting their bacon rolls from the skippy dock". And/Or: "Me Grandaddy always used to say 'when there's no more room left in Skeld, the dead will walk the earth".

To top it off you could have ghostrider, and the simmer dim motorcyclists storming the toll clock, or possibly the up helly aa brigade.

Evil Dead II is also class - you can't beat the eyeball popping into womans mouth scene. :lol:

Think you could remake it in Shetland, and have our band of heros holed up in the toll clock shopping centre. At their disposal they would have amongst other items - holiday brochures, plant killer and yoghurt coated raisons from scoop to combat the hoardes of zombies.

Classic Lines could be "Why do they come here? Its because they remember getting their bacon rolls from the skippy dock". And/Or: "Me Grandaddy always used to say 'when there's no more room left in Skeld, the dead will walk the earth".

To top it off you could have ghostrider, and the simmer dim motorcyclists storming the toll clock, or possibly the up helly aa brigade.

Evil Dead II is also class - you can't beat the eyeball popping into womans mouth scene. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They could even use one of the kiddies rides to escape with a little help from the tools in Geordies DIY!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...

Dirk and me always planned that when the Zombie invasion comes we coaxing them all up to Chris Hodge and will have a hilarious battle with them there using trolleys, the quad, bombs with the lighters, pillowfights.

I can't wait.

ha ha yeah if you look closely you can see the wire they're holding the eyeball on!

You have to watch Evil Dead 2 with the commentary! It is sooo funny!

• 2 months later...

Well i am delighted ta fin dis thread, since i'm a huge film fan, wi a strong leaning towards horror.

I grew up on da Nightmare on Elm St an Friday 13th series, an am obviously a hugh fan o da Evil Dead, Braindead etc as well.

If you lik dat style, dan http://www.blacksheep-themovie.com/ will be right up your street :-)

As fur da more serious side, i wis delighted ta see Romero's Land of the Dead (especially efter da abysmal remake o Dawn of the Dead) takin da story aheed in a logical but bittersweet waye.

Dunna get your hopes up fur Saw 3 (if your no seen it) - i wis a huge fan o da first two, especially da second ane, but something is lost in saw 3.

Onywaye, i could rant fur oors on dis, but i'll feenish aff by axin if dirs ony o you intae da Asian originals? (Ring, Grudge) etc. Dats where da real art o horror is noo. Its unbelieveable how poor da Americanised versions are by comparison..

Onywaye, i could rant fur oors on dis, but i'll feenish aff by axin if dirs ony o you intae da Asian originals? (Ring, Grudge) etc. Dats where da real art o horror is noo. Its unbelieveable how poor da Americanised versions are by comparison..

I saw the original Japanese 'Ring' afore the American version. I was near embarrassed at how poorly done the US remake was

I thought the first saw film was w*nk! Tired cliches all the way through with an absolutely bollox ending. How they couldn't have seen him .. I mean .. cummon!! That just made me go .. "what a waste of feking time watching that!"

Never watched the second and have no intention in watching the third!

Another film that was ruined by poor direction of storyline was Jeepers Creepers. Up to the point where he turns into that flying thing it had all the hallmarks of a decent psychological mind fook of a horror! It then just turned into another cliched dull American wannabe!

I thought the first saw film was utter w*nk! Tired cliches all the way through with an absolutely bollox ending. How they couldn't have seen him .. I mean .. cummon!!

Dats explained in da 3rd film :wink:

I just enjoyed da psycology o da Saw idea, da second wan is especially good dat waye.

I have a personal liking fur films dat dunna explain every peerie thing though. i believe its a sign o a lack o faith in thier idea if da writer thinks every peerie thing needs explained.

Dat said, Saw definitely needs tae be watched in "friday 13th" mode, not "sixth sense" mode.

Everything is a metter o personal optinion at da end o da day - i think Freddy vs Jason is an absolute classic, becis i honestly dunna think i've ever enjoyed a film as much (apert fae da first time i saw Smokey and da Bandit of coorse!), but i'm very weel aware dat maist idder fok hae different views. :lol:

On da subject Freddy vs.. Ir you familiar wi dis? : http://www.braxtanfilm.com/fvgb.html

Its much better dan you wid expect!

Another film that was ruined by poor direction of storyline was Jeepers Creepers. Up to the point where he turns into that flying thing it had all the hallmarks of a decent psychological mind fook of a horror! It then just turned into another cliched dull American wannabe!

Agreed.

The first hour of Jeepers Creepers was fantastic scary movie material. It went very downhill after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't watch these films. I get too scared - or rather I get too engrossed and then anything that moves near me scares the living daylights out of me.

When I was a student (here we go, back in the days when the world was black and white...) part of the weekend sport was watching whatever horror film the common room committee hired on the tv with me in the audience. Foolishly I would sit with my friends, who would watch me rather than the film. When they thought the moment was right they would poke me in the ribs, then wait for me to drop back from the ceiling.

Psycho was the scariest thing I have ever watched - mainly because you could believe in the characters. At the end of it when the chair turns round I was so petrified I couldn't scream - but when I did (about 2 minutes later) I gluffed everyone else out of their wits and finally got my own back.

Oddly enough I can read the books - its other people's interpretation visually i can't cope with.

• 2 months later...

Just a mention to stop this thread falling off the page.

Undead An Australian Zombie film with a nice twist.

The original "The Haunting" pure creepy.

Dracula 2 Ascension, Wes Cravens Dracula 2001 sequel.

Jason X, Vorhees in his finest hour.

p.s Trout I think it wiz nurse Mctavish that the minister wiz enjoyin the company of in Braindead no Lionels mam.

p.p.s Just found out that Eddie Quist, top bad boy in the Howling was played by Richard Picardo who is also the hologram Doctor in startrek Voyager. just thought someone out there would find that as unlikely and cool as I did.

p.p.ps moorit wrote:

I can't understand why people like to watch that stuff rather than a good comedy or romance.

Sorry but there's no part of that sentence I understand.

Some of my favourite horror films:

Candyman

Hellraiser

Halloween

Evil Dead (all 3 films)

The Lost Boys (Kiefer Sutherland and "Bill" from Bill and Ted both play vampires)

I haven't seen the Howling, but that Picardo chap has certainly played a bunch of weird roles. He was in Gremlins 2, and also the Wonder Years where he played Coach Cudlip. Although I'm not sure if that qualifies as horror; then again....