Franz Ferdinand in Shetland, 24th September

Jono

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know which gig the reviewer from the Times was at tho'.

For one horrible moment I thought you meant "The Times" as opposed to the Shetland Times.

The encore saw the affable lead singer Alex Kapranos, who had struggled vocally throughout, engaging the crowd in a communal clap-along, but again the three new songs presented strayed rather too close to the dreary end of the indie-pop spectrum.

It was only with a euphoric, extended version of This Fire that Franz Ferdinand really ratcheted up the atmosphere in the Whiteness and Weisdale Hall on a night when the group's performance was strangely flat.

....I would have thought the fact that 3 of the band catapulted themselves in to the crowd and then were carried around the hall raised above the heads of 400 screaming punters would surely be worthy of a mention....no?

Check out the review by Gavin Morgan in the Shetland News...that was the gig the other 400 of us were at http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_09_2007/Uproarious%20response%20to%20Franz%20Ferdinand.htm

Daily Record review - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/choice/tm_headline=gonna-make-sumburgh-love-me%26method=full%26objectid=19842741%26siteid=66633-name_page.html

Excellent gig!

Just read the Times review - was he at the same hall as I was?

Only downer was before we got to W/W hall: I wonder who was driving the band around before the 2nd gig? They pulled out of the Westings junction without looking! I was driving along in the p*ssing rain, luckily going slow because of the weather and managed to brake in time.

RE: The review in the Times.

Is it not just possible that the reviewer may have had slightly differing tastes to what was on stage?

If he was just talking about the type of music, that may be the case, but 'struggled vocally' and commenting on atmosphere - I'm not sure what gig he was at, but it wasn't the one I was at - or anyone else that I spoke to.. I haven't come across anyone else that had anything negative to say about it...

Tremendous gig, would not have gone to see them south before, but now I would definitely consider it!

Glad that everyone (except apparently Neil at the Shetland Times) enjoyed the gig. It wis a great pleasure doing it, as I've been trying to get the band here for years and was disappointed when they had to cancel a few years back when then hit the big time between me booking them and the date we had planned. They promised to do it again sometime and were as good as their wird.

For the record they were great guys, brilliant to work with, loved Shetland the gig and the people, so can I just say thanks to everybody up here for making it so special for everybody - as you almost always do.

Also they gave all the profits from the matinee gig (and therefor most of the profits from the visit) to a local charity and wanted no publicity for that. How many bands wid do that I ask you?

Again for the record the Clickimin might have been fine for getting extra folk in I agree but the production costs wid have been massive ( extra PA to hire and ship in, venue costs etc) and the gig would almost certainly not have happened, even with the extra income from tickets. That's why the band wanted smaller gigs in the first place - as well as going back tae their roots so to speak.

Sorry to those who wid have preferred a Saturday night. We will try to do better by you poor slaves to lager induced lie-backs the next time around. I lik a pint mesel as is well known - but really!!!! Failing that you can always ignore gigs lik this and settle for karaoke in the Wheel instead. :D

So cheers again to everybody who made the gig wan to remember for us all. And to the person I pulled out in front o while coming from the Westings - yes I admit the charge officer - I can only apologise and blame old age, bad eyesight, lack of drink and limited vision due to mildly inclement weather. Sorry for causing you palpatations but hope the gig made up for it.

Cheers