Fuel Prices

mr_brain

I have bought some really tasty loaves of bread at Tesco. My wife also makes really nice bread occasionally and I feel that Tesco fresh bread is of similar quality.

For those that think tesco is the best thing since sliced bread, I can only say you have never had real bread.

Imagine nipping down to tesco for something for the families dinner only to find you dont have any money, are they going to write it down on a bit of paper and get it from you the next time your in? Are they going to trust you are they heck, will your local shop trust you? Absolutely (as long as you are trustworthy).

While there is much in what you say, Tesco have actually done this for me when I discovered my wallet had fallen out of my pocket. Fortunately it had landed in my driveway, but they were sympathetic and understanding. Bear in mind that while Tesco is gigantic multinational the local store is staffed by (mostly) local people with the same level of good common sense that is normally shown in local stores.

Nevertheless, I think that this is perhaps an exception and not a general rule, and I do support the 'local' model (at the risk of Royston Vasey gags) and would prefer the local economy to be buoyant and for the wealth to be re-invested locally, but how many of the 'local' companies we rely on are really local? And does the money we pay for local products and local services really stay up here any longer than they would if it was used in Tesco?

The point I'm making here is that short of a few local stores are we certain that anything we do will make a difference?

Guest posiedon

Imagine nipping down to tesco for something for the families dinner only to find you dont have any money, are they going to write it down on a bit of paper and get it from you the next time your in? Are they going to trust you are they heck, will your local shop trust you? Absolutely (as long as you are trustworthy).

My local shop doesn't do this anymore - them that are in charge decided they didn't trust anyone anymore, I guess.

I think you're being a bit unfair, "sorry no more credit" I believe means no more running up a large bill for three weeks and paying at the end of the month.

In a case like sheepshagger quoted, I'm sure they would be sympathetic.

Maybe we should all start to campain Tesco at see if they will

take this on board. Surley it would be in their own interest to capture the fuel market here ...Has anyone asked them?

You've used the word 'capture' well, another part of the Shetland economy which they will take over and ultimately shut down more local businesses.

Every penny in profit made by Tesco up here will leave shetland the very day they get their hands on it, where as if the retailer is localy owned the profit stays in Shetland (apart from any foreign travel, taxes etc).

The owner lives here and spends their money here and some of it will end up back in your pocket, but unless you have tesco shares not one penny will stay here.

Folks go on about the quality of life in Shetland and how much better it is here than the UK but then they want to turn Shetland into a minature version of the very thing they complain about.

Local shops owned by locals play a vital part of the quality of life we love.

For those that think tesco is the best thing since sliced bread, I can only say you have never had real bread.

Absolutely spot on with your comments, Tesco along with the downturn in Sullom Voe and the short sightedness of people against the windfarm are going to be the downfall of the entire Shetland community.

Before the anti-windfarm clan tear my comments to bits, i'm not completely in favor of this(maybe smaller scale) but i do see the need for some sort of renewable energy to be captured by these islands. Anyway thats for another thread.

Does this still go on in Shetland? I remember my mam getting groceries on "a line" from DG Kays's was it, the grocer next to the Grand Hotel in Da Street? God, things like that take me back. I know it has nothing to do with fuel prices, but its good to here somethings are still taken on trust somewhere in the world. Thanks Sheepshagger, you've restored my faith in human nature.

I think you should badger Tesco's to start importing fuel, its down to 82.9p per litre down this way now, the sooner there's competion the sooner the price will drop, if the current importer of fuels to Shetland goes bust because of it, never mind, I'm sure they will still end up richer than most of us

• 2 weeks later...
Guest willz320

Folk badgering on about Tesco need to mind on that we are talking about fuel here - not Tesco as a whole.

In the case of just fuel - Im sure Shetland would benefit in the short-term (at having cheaper fuel).

This also means the benefiting in the long term, as the amount of money saved by each shetlander, will amount to a lot more than 'money invested back in to the community' by all the fuel stations who make no profit off the fuel anyway.

In some ways, because Tesco is selling fuel at a loss at their stations - we ARE benefiting from Tesco's profits. Some of their profits ARE being put back into Shetland.

Im sure all the car owners are a lot more interested at seeing their weekly fuel bill dropped substantially, than the long-term 'benefit' to the community.

This 'benefit' to the community may work with most other business - not with the fuel.

What say you?

I hope Tesco get a fuel station up and running, these days it's everyone for His/Her selves.

Fuel down South at the moment is 83.9 for petrol and 95.9 for diesel, this does not take into account supermarkets discounts.

If i can save £20.00 a week on fuel, no doubt a percentage of that will go back into the local economy, but my Bank balance comes first!!!