Fuel Prices

mr_brain

Guest Anonymous

Petrol and diesel are actually 40% higher (on average in U.K )in price than the last time crude oil was this cheap.

Which means we are certainly being ripped off more now than when crude

was at its highest peak .

It is also not even breaking even in a lot of the more remote and hostile places to bother taking crude out of the ground , so I guess thats why the money is taken at the retail end instead ....?

Any way watch out the next big price rise will hit probably through the next northern winter .

It doesn't matter whether oil is $40 a barrel or $200, it's the disparity between Shetland prices, and those on the Mainland that needs to be sorted.

The chance of the Goverment reducing tax and vat on fuel is VERY REMOTE to say the least.

Precisely. In fact the chances of the Government reducing tax is ZERO. So our best chance is if someone can start in competition with the existing supplier, and that is very difficult as they own the biggest service station in Lerwick. Tesco may be our only hope, and then they would have to bring the fuel to Shetland by road tanker as the volume wouldn't justify a small ship tanker. :cry:

It doesn't matter whether oil is $40 a barrel or $200, it's the disparity between Shetland prices, and those on the Mainland that needs to be sorted.

The chance of the Goverment reducing tax and vat on fuel is VERY REMOTE to say the least.

I quite agree, however, I was addressing the claim that fuel in the UK is generally 40% more expensive than when crude was the same price. For us, you're right, we get screwed because there's no competition.

I recieved an Email today back from Tavish Scott regarding the fuel debacle here, in my Email to him, i mentioned my hope for Tesco to sell fuel as they offer money off vouchers (5p), plus double points on your clubcard, well worth while if like us you spend £70 a week on petrol.

He said that he will be seeing Tesco on Friday, and will be discussing fuel with them.

There may be hope at the end of the tunnel yet :D

• 1 month later...