Shetland and roundabouts ne'er de twain shud meet

Salmon

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2272/ukroundabout8carsll8.gif

A diagram of movement within a roundabout in Shetland where traffic drives on the left.

A roundabout is a type of road junction, or traffic calming device, at which traffic streams circularly around a central island

after first yielding to the circulating traffic, operative words when negotiating a roundabout are CIRCULATING TRAFFIC,

not traffic approaching the roundabout to your right that are at a further distance from the roundabout entry point than yourself.

Dang, how many times have i arrived at a Shetland roundabout only to find myself parked behind a car that has right of entry to the roundabout waiting for a distant vehicle approaching from the next Right entry point.

"OH THE JOY OF LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bad day Salmon ... :wink:

every day in my wee world is a bad day..........fav prog on TV... "Grumpy Old Men"

have a nice day....humbug

"The only problem with your wonderful diagram Salmon, is that the Coop roundabout is single file"....no it's not single file!!!!!

Ha ...ha it's the (yet to be negotiated) Sound roundabout, torture in the offing.

I agree completely, nobody has a clue how to use the roundabouts,giving way to cars approaching from left, not indicating or indicating wrongly. You never see these problems Sooth. When will folk learn how to use the roundabouts? The new one at Soond should be fun!

While understanding Shetland drivers unfamiliarity with roundabouts, the picture on the mainland is not perfect. Quite a few drivers are no too hot on that subject. Also, watch out for the disapearing lanes on roundabouts down here. Three lanes suddenly become two as the paint lines merge, and "your" lane vanishes. The Whirlies roundabout at East Kilbride is a famous example. Just hope an aggresive bloke in a BMW is not next to you. In fact I would suggest that driving round East Kilbride is better done drunk, and you will not notice the problems.

Hi,

You want try a roundabout in High Wycombe.5 mini roundabouts encirculating a large roundabout wherby you can end up going round the large roundabout in the wrong direction as well as the right direction and the small roundabouts in the right direction as is a legal roundabout.

Very confusing when some of the small roundabouts are about 3 car lengths apart and you find a car comming at you in the other direction :lol:

Silvercloud

Where's that then? out of intrigue i've been google-earthing high wycombe to see this monstrosity, N,S, E or W? the one to the south of the town looked promising but it's all just boring 'give ways'.

edit - found it!

edit - That thing makes my brain hurt just looking at it!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=high+wycombe&ie=UTF8&ll=51.627035,-0.750761&spn=0.001758,0.004168&t=h&z=18

Thanks for posting the image, Salmon. Much needed here! The most common is probably Frances' standoff situation, but motorists - take note of the use of indicators on the image! Indicate when entering and leaving. You could easily have someone going all the way round and other motorists need to know what someone's intentions are. Thaynk-you!

Indicate when entering and leaving.

Unless you're going straight across of course (the green car above) where you only signal to come off.

The number of times I've seen folk indicating right coming on to a roundabout when they're going straight on... :twisted: 9 times out of 10 you know they're going straight on but you still have to apply the "everyone's an idiot" rule and wait until you're sure. Grrr

I am, of course, The Perfect Driver and never do anything wrong :wink: