Shetland and roundabouts ne'er de twain shud meet

Salmon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The accident statistics for Swindons "magic roundabout" are minimal. Whilst it may look confusing like this :

http://ronald.smoonflower-inferno.eu/img/magic_roundabout.jpg

The signs make thing a lot clearer :

http://realdupont.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/magic_roundabout.jpg

Back to the topic though, yes in shetland people will wait at roundabouts when they should go, however i've had the horn blown at me and a middle finger gesture in my mirror because i waited to let an ambulance through...

Also, anyone who has driven "south" will know that a small delay at a roundabout is nothing compared to meeting people screaming around in the wrong direction, for example.

Simple solution to avoiding delays - drive slower - everything is relative after all...

:wink:

In my yoof, I used to ride a horse round Hyde Park Corner (which is actually a giant roundabout).

I also used to ride a bike (not at the same time, obviously) around HPC and then up to Marble Arch (another giant roudabout) with my walkman on oblivious of the mayhem around me.........

I was young and stupid and possibly mad with a deathwish!

Well it's no just motorists that dinnae ken how to work a roundabout. There's a cyclist that's still alive (and in the CO-OP at this very moment) thanks to me applying the Idiot Rule. You (the cyclist) have 2 working arms, are old enough to know better and I'm not psychic. So please kindly signal like everyone else and no swerve across 2 lanes and assume everyone knows where you're going afore hand :twisted: Maybe this should be in the 101 thread?

I also enjoy sitting at roundabouts behind folk who has no idea what to do. Or my pet hate, as someone has already mentioned, the people who indicate right to go straight on :evil:

However, Shetland drivers are the epitome of driving excellence compared to what I experienced in France. Try driving round the Periferique in rush hour dring an old Ford Transit towing a caravan and not having the greatest of ideas which exit we were supposed to be taking....... :shock:

The number of times a nutty Frenchman would overtake us and then swerve across 4 lanes of traffic to just make his exit. Mind you this is the same country that found the level of drink-driving accidents unacceptable where people went off the road and crashed into trees.......the solution was to cut down the trees ?!?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...
I also enjoy sitting at roundabouts behind folk who has no idea what to do. Or my pet hate, as someone has already mentioned, the people who indicate right to go straight on :evil:

However, Shetland drivers are the epitome of driving excellence compared to what I experienced in France. Try driving round the Periferique in rush hour dring an old Ford Transit towing a caravan and not having the greatest of ideas which exit we were supposed to be taking....... :shock:

The number of times a nutty Frenchman would overtake us and then swerve across 4 lanes of traffic to just make his exit. Mind you this is the same country that found the level of drink-driving accidents unacceptable where people went off the road and crashed into trees.......the solution was to cut down the trees ?!?!?!?

I thought it was the sheep to blame for no trees in Shetland.....now i realize we are part of a government trial on road safety......... oh those conspiracy theories ....LOL.

What I hate is the way that the roundabout at the power station is cambered. It just doesn't feel natural at all and the lanes are the smallest and oddly shaped things ever.

[edit]

^^ From re-reading what I wrote there - I'd like to point out that the way that roundabout is will definetely be for a reason due to the geographic placement of it and the approach roads onto it.

It is definetely a massive improvement allowing commuters access to Gremista Road from Gremista Brae for sure. The lanes I personally feel as though I drift through them as I navigate - is this just me?

Do give opinions on this topic to engender debate.

[/edit]

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8748/lh2ix7.jpg

It's still driving me crazy, i keep arriving at triple parked roundabout entry points with folk looking at each other with an "After you Claud" or "I ain't got a clue who has the right of way" expression ..they both look the same.