Best Broadband Provider?

misty25

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just moved from unlimited to a 10gb download limit and despite my early worries it seems perfectly reasonable for general surfing.

My first thought was about someone else using your connection. Having just set up a wireless connection at home I was interested to discover an unsecured BT connection was detected by my computer as well as my secured Plusnet one. Maybe worth checking that your connection is secured. Also worth checking that BT have not simply reduced your download limit and forgot to tell you.

Not something I know much about but I suppose if your computer had been hacked by some evil person wanting to send millions of spam e-mails that could also push up your usage. Worth checking I guess.

I have just moved from unlimited to a 10gb download limit

Just be careful that your provider doesn't actually let you go over and charge you for each Gb thereafter. BT did this to me and I ended up paying quite a lot more than I realised. 10Gb per month isn't much when you have a family watching iPlayer (0.5 Gb per programme) and listening to music in the evenings. Eventually it worked out much cheaper to pay the unlimited package.

may be some help for anyone with BT concerned about their usage limit and it is updated daily :-

You can access the usage monitor through your My BT online account at any time. In the product section of My BT there is a 'View my broadband usage' link, click this link to open the usage monitor. If you don't already have an online account set-up, you can register at www.bt.com/mybt.

Also :-

Broadband package Monthly usage allowance

BT Total Broadband Option 1 10GB

BT Total Broadband Option 2 40GB

BT Total Broadband Option 3 Unlimited*

Worth bearing in mind BT now charge a fiver if you go over your monthly limit ! ( was £1 )

I like Plusnet. I have 80Gb per month (new package is 60Gb), though I've never used more than 20Gb. You can see how much you have used on Plusnet as well for last 4 weeks, and previously months. It's unlimited usage on off peak. Static IP is free, customer service is good, user tools good.

It's not for people who want to do file sharing in peak time though. Priorty goes to real time applications such as gaming and VOIP, unless you pay for the top package which is line speed on everything, but has a lower download limit. For a gamer/surfer like me it's perfect.

Only outages are from BT. :)

BTW if you wanted to monitor your connection, I've used NetMeter. Lots of options in it. If you leave it on, and it gathers data, it will predict your usage too, as well as give you a monthly report. The real time graph is interesting too.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml

may be some help for anyone with BT concerned about their usage limit and it is updated daily :-

You can access the usage monitor through your My BT online account at any time. In the product section of My BT there is a 'View my broadband usage' link, click this link to open the usage monitor. If you don't already have an online account set-up, you can register at www.bt.com/mybt.

Also :-

Broadband package Monthly usage allowance

BT Total Broadband Option 1 10GB

BT Total Broadband Option 2 40GB

BT Total Broadband Option 3 Unlimited*

Worth bearing in mind BT now charge a fiver if you go over your monthly limit ! ( was £1 )

Note that Unlimited is actually 100Gb - however don't just accept it when they try to restrict you if you go over. I pointed out I had opted in to their FON network system so realistically had no control over how much my connection was used. They apologised and reinstated my full speed (which is rarely much more than the 1Mbs they restrict you to anyway, but hey :) )

Just got of the line with BT, I went on with the intention of moving to Plusnet, but got sucked in again for another 12 months.

I think I got a no bad deal - Option3 Unlimited usage(which is 300gb) for £10 per month plus line rental of £13.60 per month, so £23.60 all in.

The guy on the phone said that Plusnet, Pippex and another company, which i canna mind where all owned by BT.

Stilldellin - 12 months, then it goes up to whatever the normal price is, I'll probably get stung then as i never remember to renew these things.

Twerto - Tiscalli(I'm positive) was the other name he mentioned, I'm not going to bother checking it out but that is what he said.

If it's the deal of the century then i'm happy(i normally get stung), i've been with BT for years, until the problems most on here complained about a few weeks ago i've had virtually no problems, the odd phone call to India to sort out a connection and that's been it.

we are with "vodafone at home" and so far so good, no interruptions apart from power cuts.. download speed is pretty good average of 1.9 during the day& early evening & about 2.4 from 11pm to 8am

only had to call the customer service once.

our package if £25.00 per month which includes, unlimited broadband, unlimited calls & line rental (18 month contract)

I think you have to be a vodafone mobile customer to take advantage of the£25.00 per month. Which i am, on a contract of £10 per month.

vodafone mobile contract & broadband all for £35 per month. I am happy.