Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

(** mod edit ** Possibly not very private, but that's Shetland! Appreciate your post, but random gossip isn't really conjusive to a reasoned discussion. Best kept for over the garden wall ;) -

1. You agree, through your use of the Shetlink website, that you will not submit (or hyperlink to) any material or use language which is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, inciting of violence, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY UK law. Personal attacks, inflammatory language, harassment, impersonation, trolling and sockpuppeting (multiple user accounts) will not be tolerated.
)

Ooops sorry, I'm at the garden wall ready for a yarn! :oops: :oops: :oops:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will quote NJOGLE:

"the council is an extremely complicated environment in which to work"

Why should it be? I have worked for family owned firms, and run my own business where private enterprise is so simple; yet family & friends have worked/or work for Civil Service government organisations.

What is so different? The answer: Common bloody sense.

When a self-employed guy or small business reaches the year end, and happens to have £5,000 left over; he or she does not rush out to blow the cash reserves. Neither would you or I at the end of a month, having seen say £100 left in the bank. But the S.I.C, as with all local authorities manage to spend exactly what they are allocated.

Back to the S.I.C and the infighting between the Chamber and the Chief Executive. In private business, regardless of board-room turmoil's, the system is simple. The Chairman may 'head' the company; it is the Managing Director who makes the daily decisions.

So a message to Sandy - wear your golden chain, turn up on time to open a new facility, and talk positively. As for the rest of the of the Chamber; think common sense, talk common sense, stop stabbing one and other in the back. Remember why you are there, who you represent, whom is paying the wages. And as a footnote: The Chief Executive is the powerhouse behind the scenes who enacts your decisions. Don't overrule, undermine or 'leak' against him. In the world of private enterprise (the majority of businesses) the Dave Clark's of this world are the Managing Directors.

To the representatives I would urge you primarily approve projects sensibly, and with consideration to spending OUR MONEY; as it was yours. And a reminder Cathy Greaves is at the cross tomorrow. She has the moral support of voters who all possess one factor that few in the Chamber possess. Common sense.

Grow up, get your toys back in to your prams. We, the public have had enough, and I dare say has the 'present' not 'new' Chief Executive.

Get back to your desks, and for once justify your wages. Because this sharn in private enterprise would result in a sacking. Get real, or you are so close to becoming history, your little egotistical heads are upon the chopping block.

Its a braaly cold day for this protest at the market cross where a display of - NO CONFIDENCE in the council is being held .

Perhaps a good way to stay warm at the protest would be if everyone took along an effigy of thier least favourite member of the "Town Hall Gang-sters"

to burn , would be like up helly aa come early .

In the world of private enterprise (the majority of businesses) the Dave Clark's of this world are the Managing Directors.

A Managing Director who fails to perform or fit into the Corporation will be replaced in an instant by the Board and Shareholders.

The individuals responsible for recruiting such a poor performing individual should rightfully be concerned about their own tenure as well. Accountability and responsibility are the prime tenets of any corporate structure.

The difference between a Corporation and a Local Government is that in a corporate structure, the Shareholders as the ultimate owners, have the right to elect the Board; and the same right to remove them - and ultimately the entire executive structure by means of an Extraordinary Meeting. In Government, the poor old voters have to wait for the election schedule.

In the business world, non-performance will end in non-employment. This is precisely the action that should be taken by the SIC in this instance.

Goodness me... this thread and subject been brawly quiet of late !!

Can someone please tell me why David Clark felt he needed to go to the Market Cross last Saturday ? Supposedly to hear the views of the community....is that not what the councillors shoud be doing ? Was he there in his role as Chief Executive or as Joe Public ? Where was our 'esteemed leader' is he not aware of the community's feelings? His annus horribilis is surely going to get worse....

Had my plans not overun by more than an hour I would have been there to support K Greaves in her call for action and to share her outrage about the SIC conduct. I think more folk would have joined had it not been poor weather and a heck of a busy time of year.

I full support her quest for answers.

Goodness me... this thread and subject been brawly quiet of late !!

Can someone please tell me why David Clark felt he needed to go to the Market Cross last Saturday ? Supposedly to hear the views of the community....is that not what the councillors shoud be doing ? Was he there in his role as Chief Executive or as Joe Public ?

Oh come on. What issue do you have the chief executive going along to hear the views of members of the community? I for one am quite happy he is taking an interest in community issues.

There may be some justified reasons to criticise him, but in my opinion this is not one of them.

Guest Anonymous

Having perhaps been one of the more critical persons on this topic, I'd like to ask all Shetlinkers to let this topic drop for now.

Christmas is a time for families and friends to enjoy themselves, without hassle from anybody.

Although I may say too much sometimes, at this time of year I have only one message, and that is peace and goodwill to all.

And. No matter what anybody else thinks of Mr Clark, as the chief executive of the SIC, I'd like to think that everybody here could have the decency to wish him and his family a peaceful Christmas season.

Yun's Aa, A'm Geeng.