Random Questions - What I'd like to know is ......?

Njugle

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
What i would like to know is why have the local media ignored the Steve Irwin . ?

I had no idea what you were on about until I read the Shetland News report. I expect the delay in reporting is just due to the amount of other stuff going on just now.

The vessel's objective is quite interesting. Unlike with the highly unpopular Esperanza carry-on, I expect that these campaigners will find Shetland much more welcoming. The vessel's skull logo is also striking.

What i would like to know is why have the local media ignored the Steve Irwin . ?

Have they? The Times site had a report up late last night, SIBC was running it first thing this morning.

I expect that these campaigners will find Shetland much more welcoming.

You may well be right, but if that is the case, I don't feel comfortable about it. As an island who was a very active participant in the whale trade for centuries until a relatively short time ago, I feel its still a little too soon to possibly be seen as "taking sides". It might serve us better to have the decorum to try and maintain as neutral a position as possible for a little longer, rather than court possible grumblings of hypocracy.

Lets hope they've docked them as far north throught the harbour as possible, the recently erected plaque at the smaa boat dock is hardly the kind of thing that's going to create the right impression if an SS person chances on it when out for a stroll. :wink:

P.S. SS seem to have made few friends on the seaward side of the pier as a result of their maritime antics, so while the reception from the landlubbers will be as it may, the attitude of the professional seafaring fraternity possibly may not be altogether positive.

As an island who was a very active participant in the whale trade for centuries until a relatively short time ago,

Very true, but it is worth highlighting several aspects of Shetland's whaling history. At all stages Shetland had the bum-deal concerning whaling. Initially we were merely used as a source of pragmatic boat-competent labour for the south owned ships on their way north. Then, when the shore stations were established, these were Norskie owned. They would also never have been set up here had it not been for the ban on such stations in Norway. Those Shetland stations were vigorously opposed locally due to the belief that the minging muck spewing from them was destroying the herring fishery. Finally, when so many local Shetlanders made their way south to the antarctic whaling, it was back to the role of providing a cheap experienced workforce. The only time there was any real positive local initiative concerning whaling was in the beach harvesting of caain whales. That was basically opportunistic and never at the level seen in Faroe.

I think it fair to describe Shetland's whaling history as one of ambivalence and external exploitation.

• 2 weeks later...

An anti-crime. Terry Pratchett wrote of 'breaking and decorating'. :D

Not sure how I'd feel about it, to be honest. Would probably rather they didn't, but I'm not sure I'd report it unless it became a nuisance, or there was evidence of snooping, etc.

An anti-crime. Terry Pratchett wrote of 'breaking and decorating'. :D

Not sure how I'd feel about it, to be honest. Would probably rather they didn't, but I'm not sure I'd report it unless it became a nuisance, or there was evidence of snooping, etc.

love terry pratchett's books, even the kids ones!!

i'm not sure how id feel either, tho i think my car might feel a lot better for actually being cleaned!!

If somebody came to your house in the night and tidied your garden,washed your car etc.... how many people would report it to the police?

ME

If as a single woman, some creepy guy came round and "helped" without being asked yes I would.

Unwanted attention is unwanted attention, not "help"