Road condition reports - Snow, Rain, Fog, etc

khitajrah

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just driven (or should that be glided?) from Virkie to Mainlands at Dunrossness and back.

NOT recommended if you don't have snow or all weather tyres. I have all weather tyres but owing to the fact that the road has been ploughed (but NOT gritted), there are big lumps of snow frequenting the road surface. Coming down the hill towards Virkie is an experience which reminded me somewhat of the Pepsi Big One at Blackpool. :wink:

Why are they ploughing but not gritting?

Do the ploughs/gritters work a sunday? I've got to get someone to sumburgh from voe tomorrow (providing the flights are going), and I'm not looking forward to it...

The saturday service is exactly the same as weekdays, 6am till 6pm as required.

Sunday service is same times, but restricted to main roads and major loops.

This is how it has been for over 20 years now (I started in 1989) except the move from 6.30am to 6am a couple of years ago - so no surprises :)

Why are they ploughing but not gritting?

Quite often they are gritting, but you won't see it as the salt and grit works its way to the road surface, then loosens up the remaining ice/packed snow for the next run of the plough.

Sometimes they will have run low of grit but it is more important to scrape off what they can with the plough/blade before returning for more material to carry on that part of the process.

In extreme conditions is it simply useless to grit if it will ulitimately do no good, or if the weight is required to give the vehicle the grip required in order to plough successfully.

Likewise it is sometimes asked "why don't they have the plough down" - usually this is because the conditions are not ready and material needs to be applied and given time to work before any more can be bladed clear.

Every day every route is different, so the operators just have to react as appropriate.

I think the council should just supply us all with these

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1130/904625328_baa81c2857.jpg

and leave us to get on with it and for get about the snow ploughs.. must be cheaper in the long run :P

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/01/04/Top_Pole_080104124221155_wideweb__300x375.jpg