Volcanic Eruption

Billy/T22

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sold on the "good natural disaster" description, but I do like the aspect of mother nature reminding us how irrelevant and at it's mercy we are.

That said, of course thousands of families are facing frustration, financial worries and potential hardship as a result of the travel disruptions, yet all we see (judging by TV news reports) are Airline execs complaining that they have to feed them all and demanding compensation.

But thats just "locallly" (be it Shetland wide, UK wide or further depending on your circumstances)

How many are thinking of the thousands of people living right under this volcano and in the direct path of its (and it's neighbours) destruction?

Methinks they deserve more help and consideration than anyone.

Guest Anonymous

well theres the usual UK "me me me" carry on , surely nobody wants to fly in a plane thats likely to crash & and as far as it goes , what about the Icelanders? or is that a bad question seeing as the fat cats lost money there?

I was frustrated watching the news over the last few hours, the impact on Iceland itself is hardly mentioned at all, I understand how difficult it must be for travellers being stranded but it's not the end of the world or livliehoods been affected to any huge extent it is a disruption.

Icelandic people are at ground level struggling with the impact:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/207092-Iceland-s-farmers-try-to-save-herds-from-toxic-ash

Some images from around the volcano:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

Im a javascript:emoticon(':?')little confussed about the plane thing to be honest. Not the planes with jet engines , I understand the danger there but everytime ive flown in or out of shetland its been on a twin prop plane and surely volcanic ash isnt going to cause those issues :?

Im a javascript:emoticon(':?')little confussed about the plane thing to be honest. Not the planes with jet engines , I understand the danger there but everytime ive flown in or out of shetland its been on a twin prop plane and surely volcanic ash isnt going to cause those issues :?

The loganair saab 340's that fly out of sumburgh have jet turbine engines that power the props on the front of them.

i think it is terrible how the news has not been saying much about Iceland!

It is all about England, when it snows in Scotland it is fine but when it does in England, there is a big uproar!! i speak for a few people when i say it is annoying and rediculous!

When there is Gale force 11 winds in Shetland, then there is barely anything said about it, we are supposed to just get on with it, but when England gets Gale Force "3" winds then it is a big emergency!!

Iceland must be going through alot and just becasue people are struggling to get back from other countries that doesnt mean to say the UK is the most important!!

i think it is terrible how the news has not been saying much about Iceland!

It is all about England, when it snows in Scotland it is fine but when it does in England, there is a big uproar!! i speak for a few people when i say it is annoying and rediculous!

When there is Gale force 11 winds in Shetland, then there is barely anything said about it, we are supposed to just get on with it, but when England gets Gale Force "3" winds then it is a big emergency!!

Iceland must be going through alot and just becasue people are struggling to get back from other countries that doesnt mean to say the UK is the most important!!

You obviously only read the English news (be it on paper or online). If you took the time to read alternative sources (like the Icelandic news) then you will see that there is indeed a different perspective depending on your locale. You will find that TV reports are of a similar vein.

addendum : again fairly obviously, of course you haven't been able to read the daily rags if you live in Shetland because the papers are cancelled yet again due to some issues with flights. CH501 on Sky will keep you well informed methinks :wink:

Is it too early to make jokes about the volcanic erruption or should we just let the dust settle?!?

Yes it is - The latest advice from the airlines is that it's all up in the air at the moment and we should just wait until it all blows over.