Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

SP and Engineer21.

Still seems queer to me. I've seen huge Polar diesels and fair sized Paxmans rebuilt in situ.

The RN manage to design warships that can have everything lifted out or manouvered to replace/repair in situ. Maybe this current problem is an example of building to a scrimping budget as opposed to with an eye to future potential problems?

Or is this common practice in the Merchant Marine?

I know if I were designing and building a warship, I would want as little down time as possible though I would think some of the RN vessels may be built around engines.

Though, a bit of a difference in size...

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/hms-ark-royal/videos/?video=hms-ark-royal-engine-exchange

Yet, in this report, they do seem to be building the vessel around the engines.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2013/January/29/130129-Power-to-Queen-Elizabeth

I know if I were designing and building a warship, I would want as little down time as possible though I would think some of the RN vessels may be built around engines.

Though, a bit of a difference in size...

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/hms-ark-royal/videos/?video=hms-ark-royal-engine-exchange

Yet, in this report, they do seem to be building the vessel around the engines.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2013/January/29/130129-Power-to-Queen-Elizabeth

The gas turbines are actually very easy to lift out and replace. The QE ones are being installed in one huge lump - easier to do before completing the hull - but would be able to be split down to enable replacement through deck.

Older generation warships Type 21/22/42/43 etc, have been powered by RR Tyne and Olympus gas turbines and their newer relatives. They could be whipped out and sent for refit/replaced in a very, very short period of time. I'd say the newer Daring/QE classes etc will be no different. Same applied to the gearboxes (although a slower job).... IIRC, could be wrong about the gearboxes, old age makes it all a bit hazy.......

Merchant ships tend to use diesel recip engines as they have no requirement for high-power, fuel hungry units and although this means they have massive lumps of iron sat in their engine rooms, I'm still puzzled as to why the crank can't be replaced without cutting into the hull. But I suppose it must be quicker to access from below as opposed to stripping and lifting the whole (very heavy) mangle up into the air in the engine room.

there can really be no comparision between navel and merchant ships, very differnt construction and hugely differnt costs.

it varies with differnt engines and crankshafts are made in differnt ways forged, built and semi built. most common now is semi built with some part forged and then interference fits used.

you can go into this in massive details (trust me) but with good working knowlege of ships i can assure you its not a simple job to change a crankshaft, if they have to change all or parts im not sure (it sounds pretty bad whatever happend!)

a ship is built to carry cargo or do a specific job therefore money is only made in these spaces....the machinery spaces actually make no money so are always given least amount of space possible as well, compact engine-rooms just make big jobs like this harder and longer.

but unless you know that particular ship its hard to say, also parts like this need certifictas etc from classification like Lyods or DNV so its not always just simply changing parts, also you may not find the manufacturer keeps cranks on the shelf, will be made to order

Just heard on the news that Serco Northlink are being "fined" a huge sum of money per day for failing to run the Pentland Firth service. Now I am no great lover of Serco but I have to say it sounds a bit unfair to penalise Serco when the vessel they had to use breaks down.

Must admit that I have been wondering if Serco got the contract with a low bid meaning all they hoped to do this time was to break even in order to have experience when bidding for other routes. Just a thought.

Caveat Emptor. Serco presumably signed the contract aware that such a clause was in it, they're big enough boys and can afford to hire slimy enough lawyers to warn management of such "possible unfortunate expenses".

They had two options, play safe and keep a permanent watching brief on what shipping was available at any given time for hire and where it was.....Or, gamble, as they appear to have done, that no repairs would be required that would keep the boat out of service long enough for such penalty payments to be problematic. As with all gambles, some you win, some you lose.....and business, is business.

Que sera, sera!

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelling the annual drydock/tie up that has always been the case with P&O and Northlink has come back to bite serco in the ass. These periods when the ships are out of service are used to do general maintenance in all departments on all the vessels.

The time is used to check out the engines for any wear and tear that has occurred in the previous year and to rectify minor problems before they become major problems. The ships are getting on for 11 years old now, and need to be treated as such, particularly the speeds these ships are subjected to,not to mention the north sea winters.

Again, in the race for profit serco do not give a flying fig about the Islanders needs as the Orcadians will tell you, and it is only a matter of time before something similar happens to the Hjaltland or Hrossey. This comes down to the sheer GREED of serco by refusing to carry out general maintenance during what was a pretty hectic tie up period for all departments.

What is soundbite lavish saying about this ??

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from a trip south via Northlink and while on the whole it was good I did find a trio of little niggles with my cabin and one of them was just serious enough to report for a temporary fix. Just hope this is not a sign of something bad for the future......and I admit it could be complete coincidence.

On the plus side the staff were all polite and with the Islander discount the food and drink were not over expensive. And at the moment the instant coffee in the cabins is still a good brand. And the free wi-fi seems to work although I have been told it can get overloaded at busy times.

Had a look at the new reclining "pod" seats and frankly they are not for me. Certainly not at the asking price and maybe not at any price.

Just noticed an advert on the classifieds for NorthLink cleaners and frankly the hourly wage is a disgrace.

It must be border line minimun wage. And I thought I was poorly paid.....

Mon/Fri £6.30 Sat £6.50 Sun £6.75

.......but then again breakfast is thrown in cos "none of the passengers had any and we have to use it up so help yourselves".

have you ever been in leith? almost an hours walk to the city, shopping there is no where near as good as aberdeen (much more spread out) plus it will make the boat journey longer and therefore more expensive for passengers.......... wish folks would quit with these foolish IMO ideas!

Just noticed an advert on the classifieds for NorthLink cleaners and frankly the hourly wage is a disgrace.

It must be border line minimun wage. And I thought I was poorly paid.....

Mon/Fri £6.30 Sat £6.50 Sun £6.75

Some may just be happy to get work, which is the problem. Though the money is not great, the enhancements Saturday and Sunday seem a bit tight, unless however they are part of the normal shift.

I am at odds with your post, in other posts the conflab was about the need to cut staff and pay, especially anyone paid from the public purse. Yet here there are complaints about low pay. Anyhow, they will be able to claim additional benefits, which is why companies should pay a living wage instead of relying on the state to top up their poor levels of pay. All the evidence is out their about the benefits of a living wage.