Save Scalloway School

@stromtrow totally agree wi de daer! alwaes saed lerook cood big wan skool fur hitsel, as i saed afoar hits no da gret muckle sprawlin metropolis dat hit liks ta tink hit is...

I wonder, do you ever feel like a person on a soap-box talking to an audience of 1 - yourself? (2 maybe, if you include Groilick)....

Point to Note: I don't really read what you write, but I certainly would if you gave consideration to the large audience you certainly have and to refrain from being totally selfish...

You never know, but both of you may have something very useful to say?

A little bit of the Shetland Dialect is really great - if used correctly and spelt accurately...., :)

That's all this time folks.... :roll:

It would appear that your zeal to stay off topic to denigrate the Shetland dialect is only exceeded by your ability to ignore the T&Cs of this forum and defy the moderators’ instructions.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stil upo me sopbox.....

heres a recint extrct fae da legendary gussie anus-oops! i maen angus! :oops:

The SIC is, once again, being asked to consider the future of secondary education in Scalloway, despite the recent and very full debate which concluded that the pupils’ education would be better served by attendance at Lerwick’s Anderson High School.

Noo whin upo gods green aert? wis dat supersonic conclusion(delusion maer lik) reached?!

This is not a stop to the closure of Scalloway secondary dept but a move to delay it to a point where a new Anderson is in place and fit to accept these children.

This is a sensible motion to ease the combining of the two school populations, both sets of children will be "New" in a new Anderson, the existing Anderson pupils will not be crowded any more than they already are! Scalloway will be able to carry out a measured closure, the move would become less of a Lerwick v the rest.

There appears a media and "cheep tricks politican" drive to silence any reform to a decision as a U turn it's not it's an enhancement.

Cheeky one this;

Will Mr Jonatan Wills and Mr Cecil Smith, both members of the Anderson High School Parents council and representitives of the Lerwick South Council Ward, be decairing an interest prior to any Council chamber Vote? And have they done so in the past?

so £50 or so for all the schools at the moment. and if the scalloway school stays open its going to add on another 100 or so. sorry but the schools can't afford to find that from there current budgets.

I think that £52 per pupil is insignificant when the total budget is £7,523 (08/09 figure) per pupil in primary schools and higher in secondaries.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/letters/560-why-did-he-not-respond.html

52 pounds = 0.69%

Cheeky one this;

Will Mr Jonatan Wills and Mr Cecil Smith, both members of the Anderson High School Parents council and representitives of the Lerwick South Council Ward, be decairing an interest prior to any Council chamber Vote? And have they done so in the past?

The council website has the details on Dr Wills declarations of interest with regard to the initial Scalloway vote. I get the impression that he is pretty assiduous in declaring any possible conflict of interest.

Well I suppose the population of Lerwick is about 40% of the population of Shetland and well over half the population of Shetland live within a relatively short drive of the town so it is not unreasonable for at least half of the council's spending to take place in and around the town. That said the way the council is elected means that there are always councillors prepared to stand up for rural Shetland which is good.

Moving Scalloway pupils to a brand new AHS makes some sense although moving them to the current AHS does not. Meanwhile now is the time for concerned parents to look for the truth in claims that Scalloway School is going to become some sort of super primary and if they are worried to start campaigning against it. And we must never lose sight of the fact that decisions about the future of the schools are not made in Hayfield House but in the Town Hall (and by the Scottish Government).

when you say super primary how big do you imagin? are we talking tingwall hamnavoe and wiesdale? it wouldnt be all that big maybe comparable to one of the lerwick ones?
No certainly not that big but a worrying thought for parents if their bairns were going to be transported to Scalloway from as far away as Kergord and Califf. Maybe Burra bairns might get used to it but it is still a long way for a 5 year old to travel from Bridge End.

a fair point but still its not impossible does any one ken if theres such a thing as a goverment rule/guidline on what is an acceptable distance to take a primary aged pupil to school? and if so what is it?

I would have hated to put my 5 yr old on a bus to travel miles away to school. True it happens in some places but surely be best avoided if possible. What about Mams that dont drive and are at home with younger children and any of the multiple spewy bugs / viruses we've been experiencing lately kick in, are SIC going to provide transport for sick children to get them to their homes when picking them up just is not a viable option?? Class rooms have been experiencing maybe up to 6 kids going down in the one day and parents having to pick up. It's not a rare occurrence in these times.