Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mattie, check out the mackeral quota page and I will enlighten you a bit.

By the way to repeat something I said before on greenpeace, and that is Before they started cheap publicity stunts such as jumping in front of working fishing boats and now this oncarry.I did once admire them, chemical dumping, nuclear weapons testing and rain forest depletion. They should stick with real issues which can be achieved.

How about lobbying car manufacturers to make sure no vehicle is built that cannot achieve 60 mpg?

They would be better suited targeting the politicians (please throw a bucket of oil over as many of them as you like!, harmless vegetable oil of course) and the heads of some of these multi-national organisations, and stageing well thought out peaceful demonstrations on the people at the top of the tree, where ever there big company headquarters are situated, or at there private residence's (it would be a hell of a lot cheaper, and a damned site more environmentally friendly!).

At the same time though you are delusional, where is the alternative energy source that is going to maintain 6billion + and counting.

Please bring it online.

Ah weel, I suppose I have no choice but tae admit there might be a positive out of this stunt. Looking at all the regulars posting here, some of whom I have had quite heated debate with, others who have had their own peerie disagreements, its kinda heartening to see nearly everybody on the same side.

Mods take note - only suitable subject for mass shetlink meetup is Greenpeace. :wink:

Either that or cos of the nature of some posts anyone else is terrified to open their mouths for fear of mass lynching???!! 100ish replies from a group of contributors/ many 'regulars' but 4000+ views of the topic. I'm trying to make up my mind on this and reading through the posts to try and find out more about it. Some of the stuff on here is scaring the bee-jeeez-es oot o me and seems nuts by comparison - yip - even to hanging off an anchor! On the other hand - thanks for the more rational posts from different points of view that are helping inform me and maybe some of the 1000s of other folk reading them.

Am I a “tree-hugger†or “scum†for being a bit sceptical about oil companies practices after the Gulf of Mexico? I'd agree they will be super-cautious now, well, you'd hope they would. Is it safe to do more drilling or do GP have a point? Is it a good thing or a hell of a gamble with Shetland's waters, wildlife, shoreline, economy etc. I just want to know the facts.

Ah weel, I suppose I have no choice but tae admit there might be a positive out of this stunt. Looking at all the regulars posting here, some of whom I have had quite heated debate with, others who have had their own peerie disagreements, its kinda heartening to see nearly everybody on the same side.

Either that or cos of the nature of some posts anyone else is terrified to open their mouths for fear of mass lynching???!!

I suspect you may be on to something there, Talpa.

Mods take note - only suitable subject for mass shetlink meetup is Greenpeace. :wink:

Count me in too.

I've supported some Greenpeace protests in the past, particularly the Brent Spar thingy, but I think they've gone too far this time. I'm glad to hear that the drill ship is not depending on anchors to hold position. Attempting to immobilise a large ship sitting half a mile from an internationally important bird reserve on a treacherous shore is just stupid, especially given the forecast.

Well, they've made their point, so I hope now they can be persuaded to come down without putting anybody else in further risk. My nephews dad is on the Lerwick lifeboat so he's one of the people who will have to rescue these numpties if anything goes wrong.

I just hope it ends safely for all concerned.

Either that or cos of the nature of some posts anyone else is terrified to open their mouths for fear of mass lynching???!!

I suspect you may be on to something there, Talpa.

i doot the majority of popular opinion holding sway is called democracy

:ponders:

Can't the ship just leave? .. dangle-berries an all ? :twisted:

:D :lol: Ha ha! thats the best discription I've heard so far for these dafties !!

I'm all for peacefull demonstration and I believe that Greenpeace could use the money donated to them much more wisely. Perhaps those who donate funds to Greenpeace should also be sued for conspiring in what has to be illegal activities. There are thousands of better causes out there.

Noo! I have a gripe with my bank as I don't think they have invested my money wisely. So If I was to demonstrate, by chaining myself to the bank doors and stopping them getting on with their daily business, would the police stand back for days and access the situation? I somehow don't think so. If I didn't move they would use reasonably force to remove me, and quite rightly.

Of course there might be some maratime law that allows this. But I would have thought that boarding someones ship (albiet only the anchor chain) would be classed as piracy !!!

I admire folk who risk their lives to protest in something they believe in. BUT: Risking coastguard etc. to do it is not admirable. Definitely agree on that.

But... I'm not sure about the other stuff. Want to question it without being lambasted!!?? Would Shetland be f**ked if there was a disaster of some sort and does more drilling make that more likely? Or not? And does more drilling stunt development of other forms of offshore energy production?

I admire folk who risk their lives to protest in something they believe in. BUT: Risking coastguard etc. to do it is not admirable. Definitely agree on that.

But... I'm not sure about the other stuff. Want to question it without being lambasted!!?? Would Shetland be f**ked if there was a disaster of some sort and does more drilling make that more likely? Or not? And does more drilling stunt development of other forms of offshore energy production?

For what it's worth, here's my take on it:

I don't believe that this is a legitimate protest because I believe that GP's argument is flawed. The disaster in the Gulf of Mexico was unique and was caused by the combination of a whole lot of factors, mainly management and technical, but as far as I'm aware the depth of the water wasn't one of them. I'm sure that the water depth made it more difficult to fix the leak after it had happened, but as far as I'm aware it didn't play a part in causing it.

Second, the safety and drilling regulations in the UK are more more strict than in the USA. In the UK there are stringent requirements to carry out regular checks on equipment such as the blow-out-preventers, and to have back-up safety equipment in place. In a sense, the USA are as much to blame as anyone else for what happened in the Gulf, because the drilling operation was run by American companies, with American equipment, with American managers, under slack American regulations.

So all in all, in my view it's wrong to pretend that the situation in UK waters is the same as in the Gulf of Mexico, and there is much less chance of a similar disaster happening here. Also, as I've already said, as far as I'm aware the water depth hasn't got anything to do with it, this is just a populist myth that Greenpeace has latched on to.

in effect all they are doing is costing the oil companies money which in turn will put the price of everything to the consumer up , i caana say pick them off wi a rifle or steep them on the night , cos some airy fairy dreamer will latch onto it , business from the surrounding seas are what has kept shetland for centuries n this kinda knobs are effectively threatening our whole infrastructure