pooptastic! not.

Baron Farkoff

Is this the corrrect poophole to close?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the corrrect poophole to close?

• Yes!
    • No!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don't buy the argument that the Lochside facility is the more logical one to close than the Knab one. I would argue that the number of people passing, and therefore the percentage using the Lochside one is several hundred percentage greater than the Knab one, so a far greater body of people are being discriminated against. As for there being no alternative facilities near the Knab one, that is bull.

It's ringfenced as it is adjacent to a graveyard.

Hang on a minute - did someone say that the toilets on the Esplanade aren't open all that late on Friday & Saturday??

Can anyone confirm what time they ARE open until at the weekend?

It's just that, if you are a Wheelchair user, and you go to a Wedding or function in the Lerwick Hotel, and you need to use the loo, they get you a Taxi down to the Public Toilets as they don't have a wheelchair-accessible loo there, so it would be handy to know in advance how late one would be able to bide at the wedding if the Public loos close early... Miss 'Auld Lang Syne', I doobt?

So, theoretically speaking, could a wheelchair user get done for peeing in a bottle / portable urinal in the Lerwick Hotel car park? Be a bit awkward to try & aim for your car wheel... especially if you're female ;)

Hang on a minute - did someone say that the toilets on the Esplanade aren't open all that late on Friday & Saturday??

Can anyone confirm what time they ARE open until at the weekend?

It's just that, if you are a Wheelchair user, and you go to a Wedding or function in the Lerwick Hotel, and you need to use the loo, they get you a Taxi down to the Public Toilets as they don't have a wheelchair-accessible loo there, so it would be handy to know in advance how late one would be able to bide at the wedding if the Public loos close early... Miss 'Auld Lang Syne', I doobt?

So, theoretically speaking, could a wheelchair user get done for peeing in a bottle / portable urinal in the Lerwick Hotel car park? Be a bit awkward to try & aim for your car wheel... especially if you're female ;)

Could be wrong but I think the toilets close at midnight. More to the point do places like that not have to provide disabled toilets if they are over a certain size?. If not then they damned well should have to!.

Done a bit of checking on-line and I am almost certain that they have to provide disabled loos.....sorry make that loos for the disabled.....and shipping patrons off to the nearest public bog would not count as compliance with the law. And that is law not some sort of optional extra they can provide when they get round to it.

I have a relative with Chrones disease and when working in the town found that it was nigh on impossible to manage without the toilets at lochside, and as has been mentioned before with work boots and work clothes on would not go to clickamin centre, nor would he be welcome there in that state. I think that maybe if some of the council officials had the same complaint and were in the same circumstances, instead of sitting in offices handy with the toilet they might understand what like it is.

Sorry, I don't buy the argument that the Lochside facility is the more logical one to close than the Knab one. I would argue that the number of people passing, and therefore the percentage using the Lochside one is several hundred percentage greater than the Knab one, so a far greater body of people are being discriminated against. As for there being no alternative facilities near the Knab one, that is bull.

It's ringfenced as it is adjacent to a graveyard.

Why? What does it matter what its adjacent to. Its not a part of the graveyard per se, so two different departments and budgets. Its not even immediately adjacent to the graveyard, it is immediately adjacent to the "recreation area"/whatever it is that is that is the Knab, which is yet another different budget, and nearer the AHS site than than the graveyard, yet another budget.

Why can that one be declared untouchable just on the grounds of saying its adjacent to a certain facility. You might as well go down the road that the Lochside one is ringfenced as its next to Lochside Stores (does that shop still exist??), or adjacent to the Clickimin Centre/Sports fields, it amounts to the same thing.

Don't football players or horseriders have the right to a convenient crap as much as mourners.

Mourners tend to be elderly and some can find "hadding in" on a cold day a bit difficult (and don't say spaek for deesel :D )

This is a reason to keep the facility though, not a reason why the facility is ringfenced to the graveyard, which is the point I was trying to make.

The facility is not an integral part of the graveyard, nor is it there for the exclusive use of people visiting the graveyard, its a public facility on the side of the road.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Knab *should* have been the one that was closed, IMHO there were few enough facilities as it was, and closing any of them should have been shelved. Where I'm trying to go with this is that whichever one was "chosen" there were as many reasons to keep it open as any other one.

Having the Knab kept open due the people, having to visit the graveyard, due to the nature of its business, in all weathers at all times of year, is a good argument. However, I'd counter argue that by the nature of a graveyard visitors are low volume and erratic, and that most elderly folk, due to the geographical location, will have had to secure some form of transport to take them there and home again, thus giving them broader options.

Somewhere like Lochside, or any of the roads leading off it, I'd argue is far more likely to have elderly folk walking along them at any and all times, who are equally likely to suffer from the vagaries of the cold. They now are left with the options of attempting to hadd in until they get as far as Grantfield, which involves crossing a very busy road, which they may well have no need to cross otherwise, or then take on the climb up Hayfield Lane to use the one in the Gilbertson. I don't buy it that the Clickimin toilets are a viable alternative to the Lochside ones, as they are not SIC property, and as such not a public facility in the full meaning of the term.

They probably won't, but I would expect the SRT would be fully within their rights to ban anyone unless their own customers from using their toliets.