Free WiFi hotspots.

SIC buildings generall have free wi-fi, but they limit what you can access - I can't check one of my email accounts from the SIC. So in Lerwick that would be Islesburgh and Clickimin as the main places with cafes. I have been able to access wifi from the Grand Hotel before now too, although I haven't been there for ages, so that might still be an option.

If you have broadband with BT I believe there are a few places you can access wifi from too.

most of the town centre is covered through SIC, Peerieshop, Bayoni etc & 60north (tourist one) the 60north needs a passcode either pop in to somewhere that hands out cards or phone up the tourist office and the nice man on the phone will give you a code, there's also a 60north you can pick up on the northlink boats while in the harbour, hence the getting a passcode over the phone experience.

Walls is mostly locked now, but "freenet" will cost you a whole $2 a month, it's a pity that the abuse of the few effects all.

Braewick cafe (60north), Scalloway hotel, Sumburgh airport, Spiggie hotel, I believe the Shetland hotel does, last time I tried the Grand it was locked (I had access to two other private networks so didn't try hard) most places if you ask will give you the code as long as you're a paying customer.

Most SRT buildings and most carecentres have SICGuest, but not Wastview (and oh do we miss it waiting at the healthcentre)

Being an O2 customer gets you access to BT openzone, if you check with your phone providers I'm sure others have similar arrangements.

last time I tried the Grand it was locked (I had access to two other private networks so didn't try hard)

Yes, I had to lock it because it was being seriously abused by some near neighbors.

Access codes should still be available to paying customers though.