The Shetland Times Editor

Kavi Ugl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard on Radio Shetland that the editor of The Shetland Times has handed in his notice and will leave at the end of September.

I have to say the STimes has, in my opinion, been a disaster under this present editor so for me this is great news.

:D

:lik:

^ He maybe did what he thought best, but I think the passage of time has proven taking a more mainstream media style of presentation, and imposing it upon a small regional rag maybe wasn't entirely a good idea.

I think a lot of the readership liked the paper because it was the unique product of localised evolution over decades, and not just yet another OTT wannabe red top following in every footstep of the arguably dubious market leaders.

Just heard on Radio Shetland that the editor of The Shetland Times has handed in his notice and will leave at the end of September.

I have to say the STimes has, in my opinion, been a disaster under this present editor so for me this is great news.

:D

I have to disagree. I think the paper has been at least as good under his editorship as it's ever been, and vastly better than it was immediately before he took over. Some of the leaders have been outstanding and there has been little or none of the sensationalist reporting that had crept in under his short-lived predecessor. My only complaints are that the amount of sports coverage sometimes seems a little over the top (but that's obviously a matter of personal preference) and some of the subbing is a little careless, though that's hardly unusual these days.

In its current state, I think it's one of the best local papers in Scotland.

You guys can be nasty sometimes, im sure he did his best.

No, I in no way mean it to be nasty. Whether he did his best or not is not the point here and neither is the issue of the previous incumbant - the paper was, as I say, a disaster.

Almost every week there was a correction or apology posted in relation to the previous week, letters were tampered with and when printed bore no resemblance to what the reader had submitted, there was OTT coverage of sport with up to 9 pages per week and more often than not the Editorials consisted of irrelevant non-Shetland waffle.

I'm not interested in it being "one of the best local newspapers in Scotland", infact for me that was also half the problem - I often wondered if I was reading a newspaper that was about Shetland or Scotland.

Dont think I've noticed much difrence bertween any of them, however wheather it was them or the difrent reporters i have noticed how some reports have a pro or negitive tone to storys wheather they agree or not, with the council, arts trust, charitable trusts etc etc. rather than report the facts and just the facts. i did notive a big difrence with the shetland life though, I started to buy it again when Tom took over.

Brilliant news . The Shetlant times has gone from a friday morning must see to something i couldnt care less whether i saw or not under his editorship. The editorials were mostly irrelevant to Shetland. And the refusal to print at all or doctor readers views especially if they didnt agree with all that global warming coblers was unforgivable. A readers view is just that. Whether you agree with it or not it is the readers right to have it printed. Its just THEIR view after all. The dodgy photos of Wills and Ratter in last weeks paper were typical of the low standards to which the paper now follows. The sympathetic coverage of the sea shepard terrorists was also a disgrace. Looking forward to our local news paper being just that again. Flannel FREE news.

By the way the above is just MY oppinion....

I think they should have a limit on the readers letters length, they are to long and rambling and i am fed up of the same ones on the windfarm etc each week, that now I just skim over them. Selbie has the right idea with his letters.

Also the ammount of sport seems over the top and the sounding off bit is usually left wing clap trap with nothing to do with Shetland.