Shetland's airports (and parking)

breeksy

Where are Bristows going to keep their new S92? are they going to keep it with the sixth AS332L at Sumburgh?

I would of thought dat yuns aa sumburgh is wort fir noo adays !! Afteraa, its no lik dere is muckle else doon yunder t keep da place gain!!

Try bidin anunder een idda f****** flightpaths, an du'd be weel awarr ih aw it's gyaan on....I doot hit wid be enyoch t' mak de curse maist dais tuh....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if those twats at Sumburgh go on strike in the middle of the holidays, then they might see all their jobs go to Scatsta! No better way to win the support of the general public, than to piss them off!

They don't seem to recall the hatred that the dockers inspired in all Shetlanders with their pathetic rules and strikes that held Shetland hostage for decades until they were finally forced out.

Maybe they will be the new dockers? :shock:

We all better hope that it isn't poor weather at Scatsta on mondays then because the flightline 146's are in at Sumburgh again today due to the weather at there airport of choice Scatsta, hopefully it can be worked out before any industrial action, so there is no disruption to peoples holidays and the economy of the Islands. Making throw away comments like twats etc though north isn't going to improve the situation.

The staff at Sumburgh should not be blamed for the situation getting as far as industrial action. The managment at HIAL are responsible for keeping the airports running but there 'heads in the sand' style of managment won't make this type of thing go away.

If they do go on strike, i hope the weather in Scatsta is crap and it's unable to take diversions. The more public complaints there are about the HIAL organisation the better!

So long as it doesn't affect the likes of the air ambulance - which I'm sure the staff at the various airports would agree with.

suddenstop said

The more public complaints there are about the HIAL organisation the better!

i see as of today HIAL have reduced Sumburgh category to 4 (except for monday and friday mornings to accommodate the Atlantic Airways. ) This means that without HIAL staff agreeing and being available to come in at short notice that the biggest aircraft to be able to use Sumburgh under normal circumstances will be the SAAb340. Is this an attempt to to save money following the decision of the oil cos to stay at Scatsta? will it impact on the ability of the scatsta 146's to use Sumburgh as a a diversion/alternate?

low_approach said

weel i doot if it wisna fir yun 'loganair' dere widna be muckle on doon yunder..

yes, the 6000+ loganair movements pa make up almost two thirds of the business at Sumburgh

of course you could re-word "weel i doot if it wisna fir yun 'iac' dere widna be onythin on up yunder..".

all depends on local bias

• 4 weeks later...
^^^ You get what you pay for. Oil Companies have spent the last 25 years honing their skills of how to pare their running costs to the bone. The have it now just about as tight as they can get it, and one duck just a hint out of line, and what can mostly work fails to.

Scatsta's closed due to low cloud, Sumburghs the diversionary destination - hows that something failing to work? Surely it's the same as any of the Sumburgh planes diverting to Scatsta? This is how it's supposed to work.

to quote infiltrator

Scatsta's closed due to low cloud, Sumburghs the diversionary destination - hows that something failing to work? Surely it's the same as any of the Sumburgh planes diverting to Scatsta? This is how it's supposed to work.

yes you're right, but at least from 1st August the oil industries are having to pay to keep both airports open as the 'one' can't operate without t'other