Shetlink good as deid?

John D'oh

It does seem a bit quiet on the forums lately, although the classifieds are as busy as usual. According to stats there has been 80 users online in the last 15 minutes, so the site is still very popular.

It's great to see you posting rarther than lurking though, it all helps get the forums moving again:-)

Ain't been the same since Shetland Peat disappeared.... <G>

Me, I'm just waiting for the SIC to do something really stupid (again).

Disapeared! Well all I can say it great, hopefully more people will now feel they can contribute to a post without getting a three page reply from him, finding fault in every thing posted

As for the council doing something stupid, you won't have to wait long

I think some have defected to the Shetland Times comments section. It can be a raging torrent of name calling from a few repeat offenders. Oh, and generalisations so broad you could land a plane across them. It would be comical were some of the more extreme comments not coming from folk who make a living from behind their own names. That said, there are one or two bastions of Shetlink fighting the good fight though.

Edited by Roachmill

If you stiffle all arguments, and delete any posts that someone might find unpleasant.. Well you are left with a forum that no one bothers to post on. I personally think that forums are better for a bit of argy bargy, after all real life is full of disagreements and bickering, trying to over control this very human trait is a huge mistake. Mods take note

Well said. I totally agree!!!

If you stiffle all arguments, and delete any posts that someone might find unpleasant.. Well you are left with a forum that no one bothers to post on. I personally think that forums are better for a bit of argy bargy, after all real life is full of disagreements and bickering, trying to over control this very human trait is a huge mistake. Mods take note

Your absolutely right, no one wants to stifle good debate, we all have a right to put our own views forward and we should do that knowing that some others will disagree with those views and also have the right to voice their opinions.

Where I think this forum has fallen short in the past, is that it allowed one individual in particular to constantly harass users and take ownership of the forums, which resulted in people leaving and many people were put off posting.

Whilst it is healthy that we do not all agree all the time, it is better for all, if we can have our debates in an adult maner and not be drawn into name calling and personal vendettas against those who we disagree with. Unfortunately, being human, we can sometimes in the heat of the debate fall short of this and that's the time we should step away for a bit or the moderators should step in.

Shetlink has thousands of users, so let's hope many more of them will get involved in the forums.

Whilst it is healthy that we do not all agree all the time, it is better for all, if we can have our debates in an adult maner and not be drawn into name calling and personal vendettas against those who we disagree with. Unfortunately, being human, we can sometimes in the heat of the debate fall short of this and that's the time we should step away for a bit or the moderators should step in.

Shetlink has thousands of users, so let's hope many more of them will get involved in the forums.

^ how very true!

I'm no meanin tae take sides here but one of the reasons I was put off posting wasn't down to one user in particular (I assume I'm speaking about the same person) it was other folk's reactions to them. Quite often good going discussions descended into personal bickering and never recovered, usually with the same group of people spending all their energy on one person who seemed to quite enjoy it! It's easy enough to skip past posts without feeling the need to respond and there's always the 'ignore' function on this forum. Failing that then "Don't feed the troll!"

Edited by Davie P