Alistair Carmichael memo leak and inquiry: should he resign?

Should Alistair Carmichael resign?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alistair Carmichael resign?

• Yes
    • No

"I'd suggest we take both Skene and Carmihael and dump them on the Fair Isle, if Carmichael reaches Kirkwall by swimming and/or walking first, he wins, if Skene reaches Lerwick first by swimming and/or walking first he wins"

The way that some of the SNP supporters (that I know) carry on, Skene wouldn't swim, he would walk.... 

Anyway, an Old Etonian, Head of Clan Skene, who is on his 2nd (or 3rd(?)) political party in an attempt to get into parliament and, who is probably just as "oily" as anyone in the Tory cabinet, would be a serious pollution risk if he was allowed to swim.. :twisted:

Edited by Colin

"I'd suggest we take both Skene and Carmihael and dump them on the Fair Isle, if Carmichael reaches Kirkwall by swimming and/or walking first, he wins, if Skene reaches Lerwick first by swimming and/or walking first he wins"

At least then, Mr Carmichael couldn't alter the vote in his favour - or could he, he's done it before!!!

Should Alistair Carmichael resign? The answer is NO.

I'll not blow a fanfare for him or any other politician except to say with Alistair ther's no complaints.

His only 'crime' is being a politian in a world where none can answer a straight question or more offten than not, circumnavigates the truth. An extreme example is Hillary Clinton. OK, so she's not UK. Politics. Neverteless. in front of the whole world she claimed being "Very frightened" when visiting Bosnia. "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base." That claim was utter twaddle and every word a lie. She now appears to be running for president. Since saints are in short supply, and if Alistiar Carmichael steps down, what do you expect to get in his place?

Politicians,councilors & buisnessmen "lie" a lot of the time.

If they tell the truth they are probably releasing confidential information,so most of the time they have to go "tongue in cheek".

Ask a postman if he knows where someone lives, if he tells you he/she has violated there contract,if they say no they are probably lying,so he/she should shrug there shoulders and walk away.

Guess many folk in public life find themselves in this position .

BBC Radio Orkney interviewed our MP about the incident and asked him for his explanation of events and why he did not admit to authorising the release of the memo when questioned by C4 news shortly after the memo leak.

https://soundcloud.com/radio-orkney/around-orkney-monday-25th-may-2015?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

The interview starts at roughly 9 minutes and 56 minutes in to the recording.

Ask a postman if he knows where someone lives, if he tells you he/she has violated there contract,if they say no they are probably lying,so he/she should shrug there shoulders and walk away.

Professional confidentiality is one thing, but that's a kinda bizarre analogy for the Carmichael situation. 

Once upon a time, not very long ago, a certain local authority's CEO claimed he had no idea what his brother was up to, and while there were a few disgruntled folk it never reached demos outside the Town Hall stage, and said CEO weathered the storm to retire with no doubt numerous generous financial benefits.

Yet, the minute our MP, while wearing another hat, "forgets" he gave the nod to some civil servant to blab to some reporter the contents of a note some other civil servant had written as a result of eavesdropping some minor regional politician trying to ingratiate themselves with some foreign bod, the hounds are baying for blood.

Maybe I'm the only one seeing those as seriously disproportionte and inconsistent reactions.....

Perspective - nobody got killed, or even broke bones, and shenanigans in the Town Hall are far more likely to impact far more greatly on everybody, than shenanigans in Edinburgh when our man there isn't even wearing his O&S MP's hat. Whether you believe Carmichael has been mediocre, or even largely ineffectual, he has a 14 year track record of at least showing willing to try and do Shetland some good, and has done nothing to be reproached for when wearing the O&S MP hat. That record is worth something, however little that something may be, and its a something no-one else has.

Edited by Ghostrider

Apologies if I seem to be on your case here GR (although I'm sure you're not that bothered!).

Your first paragraph is classic whataboutery from decades ago, your second is a significant downplayment of the situation, and your last is pointing out that Carmichael has simply done what he was paid to do.

For someone advocating revolution you seem to be supporting the seriously flawed status quo.

Edited by Davie P

For someone advocating revolution you seem to be supporting the seriously flawed status quo.

Nah, I'm just saying why sweat the little things, that even if fixed will make not one iota of difference to an already FUBAR system. The sooner its let to fall apart completely and implode, the quicker folk will cotton on to giving up on it and looking elsewhere.

Alistair Carmichael abused his position as sec of state for Scotland by leaking a dodgy memo from the Scotland office during a general election purdah, he then abused his position as an MP lying about it and saying nothing while alot of taxpayers money was being spent on a leaks inquiry.

He can refuse to resign if he wants, but his actions are serious enough to face a full parliamentary inquiry.

"Maybe I'm the only one seeing those as seriously disproportionte and inconsistent reactions"

No, but the SNP supporters, either by design, an accident of genetics or, trying to gain a little political "capital" of their own seem quite unwilling to agree.

This whole thing could be "put to bed" quite simply;

If Sturgeon's meeting with The French guy was in any way "official" then, it would have been minuted by some official and, a full transcript would be available somewhere.   Where is the transcript?  Does it contain anything that Sturgeon (and others) would consider "damaging"?  Like, for example, the truth....

If it wasn't "official" then, that opens another can of worms but, this time, one that the SNP has to answer for.  It seems to me that the wrong person has been "put on the spot".

At least then, Mr Carmichael couldn't alter the vote in his favour - or could he, he's done it before!!!

Why are you attributing the emboldened quote to me when I was actually quoting someone (GR) else?  Is this another SNP "smear" coming up?? :ponders: